1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD+/-RW wont read CDs but reads DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by northener, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. northener

northener Thread Starter

The DVR+/-RW on my father's "e-Machnes 5255" would read both CDs and DVDs fine until sometime in June. After that, for some reason, it would no longer read CDs. I've tested this myself: Any DVD I've loaded works fine both playing it as well as exploring it. However, when loading a CD nothing appears to happen. When you finally click on the E-drive it opens but is blank. I have tried 5-10 different CDs, cleaned the CDs, bought & used a CD-drive disk - all to no avail. This behaviour is the case for bought CDs that my father was previously using without a problem.
    Seems to not be a hardware problem but more a software setting (OS, drivers, applications...) Can anyone give me a clue as to what to check as I have run out of ideas!

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Can I ask you to go to your My Computer icon and right click on it and move down to Properties. Check to see if your dad is still running XP sp2 or XP sp3 on the window that comes up. Jazz

3. northener

northener Thread Starter

It's SP3 that he's got installed.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I was wondering because there seems to be known issues with XP SP3 and what your experiencing. In certain machines SP3 causes havoc with the dvd/cd rw's. I'm wondering if you installed you SP3 in the area of June sometime?
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your players drivers? Jazz

Oops forgot this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 addresses these issues. Some people are able to fix the issue on some machines, some have to revert back to SP2 by removing SP3.
    Microsoft has posted this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

5. northener

northener Thread Starter

Well, it seems like good advice and I tried it. I first tried updating the registry as suggested but could not find either the UpperFilters or the LowerFilters values in the specified record so I left it alone.
    Then I uninstalled SP3 but that didn't help either - still no change.
    Finally I uninstalled the driver and re-installed it. Still the same problem...
    Hmm, now I am thinking of just buying a new DVDRW drive, unless you have any other ideas.

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

You've checked to make sure the cables are tight? You've uninstalled SP3. You've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled.
    Are you running a Nero program? I hate to have you uninstalling and reinstalling items but Nero can sometimes require a removal. What program do you run for your DVD/CD burns, etc.? Jazz

7. northener

northener Thread Starter

Yes, that is correct.
    Now I checked and found a copy of Nero (my father didn't even know it was there & has never used it though). But I uninstalled it nevertheless and had the same result.
    Then I disconnected the DVDRW IDE cable & re-seated it - both ends. And, voila! something changed. A purchased CD actually loaded... However, it took about 10 min (literally) and first it came up with only the file-listing (despite having an autorun routine on it) but, it continued trying to load and got as far as (after 2-3 min) loading the logo and then continued trying to load the rest of the program (for about 4-5 min) before finally failing.
    So, I suspected oxidation on the connectors and promptly re-seated both connectors 3-4 times each to see if that would handle. After a reboot I got nothing again = blank for content as earlier despite trying several times and also a different CD.
    So, now I tried the CD/DVD lens cleaning CD for a while and then re-tried a known good CD, no change.
    Hmmm...!

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

When it goes to read a CD are you getting any info on the screen - error messages? Jazz

9. northener

northener Thread Starter

No, no message at all. Except the occassional hour-glass - if you consider that a message (at least it's a sign of life). Alternately I got a disk - didnt notice under what conditions I got one or the other.

10. northener

northener Thread Starter

OK, so now I am closing this thread. I simply bought a new DVDRW burner and replaced the Lite-On one. The new one works just fine, no problem with reading CDs at all.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice