1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dvd-rw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elyk, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

So... I just bought a few DVD-RWs. I needed a few for some miscellaneous data and/or media storage.

However, while shopping, I had a problem. More of a debate. DVD-RW or DVD+RW??? I asked the salesman, but he was kind of clueless and began to talk out of his behind just to make a sale.

I noticed on the package that it said up to 2x and 4.7gb. And the DVD+RWs said up to 4x and 4.7gb. I don't really know about these rewritable DVD attributes. I've researched but I am still a bit in the dark.

Can someone please explain in plain language the important differences and if I'll run into any problems [and maybe give a specific situation]?

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When DVD writers first came out there was the two competing formats, like VHS and BETA. Both do the job, both do it as well as the other. And both survived and now all new drives can read and write to both. The difference is how to store/burn the data on the disc. Both offer the same write and read speeds, it just depends on which discs you buy. For DVD videos that you may want to play in a DVD player the DVD-R discs have better compatibility but not by much - it use to be by a lot when the drives and discs first came out but now the compatibility is nearly identical with newer DVD players and smarter burning programs that can do bit setting.

1x is 10.8Mbits/sec and thats how fast the disc can be written, so 2x is 21.6Mbit/s an so on.

RW discs can be formatted, and written and erased directly without entering a CD\DVD burning program if you have compatible packet writing software such as Nero's InCD, Roxio DirectCD or Drag 2 Disc, Sonic DLA's(now Roxio) or B's Clip. Also Windows Vista and Window 7 directly support formatting RW discs.

When you format a disc using packet writing software a you do loose some compatible with older computers that do not have same or similar packet writing software installed and you also increase the chance of data loss. Writing the disc through a burning program in, which creates the disc in an ISO standard versus a formatted UDF standard, compatibility is nearly perfect and there's less chance of data loss.

3. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

Thanks. Very good response. I appreciate it.

Seems fine then. I don't have a problem :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!