1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD to AVI Conversion

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sethanie88, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sethanie88

sethanie88 Thread Starter

I want to back up my DVD's and save them as AVI files, does anyone know of a really good free program?

2. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What kind of DVD's are we talking about? If these are commercial movies, we don't support illegal copying here. If not, please tell us the source of the movies, and what kind of media they're on.

4. sethanie88

They're home movies, my grandparents sent them to us from NC ( thats where they live ) and we wanted to put them on our computer so we could give the DVDs to my cousin. I don't support copying movies either, sorry if that's what you thought I meant :(

5. JohnWill

No problem, just had to check. You might give DIVx a try, it's free.

6. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Divx and Xvid are not playable on all stand- dvd alone players. But nor are all other formats.

Before deciding on a format make sure your cousins will be able to play your choice

7. thecoalman

thecoalman

Do you want to copy the DVD or just have the video.

8. JohnWill

The program I presented also creates WMV files. The goal here is to play them on a computer anyway, or he'd just copy the existing DVD's, right? I'm assuming there'd be no point in making AVI files if they were to be put back onto a DVD.

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

You don't want to convert that to AVI, because it will make it like 5 times bigger or more depending on the AVI codec. It would be a huge file. Its in MPEG-2 format--just leave it in that--you can play it on the computer in that format or burn it to DVD

TEMPGenc 3.0 Express will do extract the file from the DVD in MPEG-2 format:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

There is a trial version of it.

10. sethanie88

Thank you guys so much, I used DIVx and it worked :)

11. thecoalman

thecoalman

Nothing wrong with that but be aware that DIVX is a very compressed format which is good if you want to store them on your computer because it creates file sizes about 1/4th the size of the ones on disc. The bad part is the original files on the disc will have a higher quality. As mulder suggested you can rip the files in their native format and have no quality loss since it's bit for bit copy. If you want to send this video back to disc for playback on a TV I strongly urge you to rip them instead of converting them to DIVX.

FYI... I know he said it's 5 times as large with AVI but that really depends on the codec, AVI is just a wrapper file. Using the DIVX codec creates very small files...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice