1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD won't autoplay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LauraMJ, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Okay.......once upon a time, my DVD player would automatically start the executable of whatever was put in there to run. Now, however, no matter what I put the autoplay properties for the DVD player at, it will NOT start playing whatever is in there.

I have to go to My Computer and then double click on the DVD player, and then go through all the files that show up in a folder, and try to guess which one is the right one to click on.....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this thing to start "autoplaying" again?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Check and see if it's disabled in the registry;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ CD\ROM

Double click AutoRun and make sure the value is set to "1"

3. LauraMJ

Here is an odd thing.

In my registry, I have CurrentControlSet, a CurrentControlSet001, a CurrentControlSet002, and a CurrentControlSet003. :confused: Is that normal?

I checked in the first CurrentControlSet, and that value is set to 1. Underneath the "autorun" value, is a AutoRunAlwaysDisable. Next to it it has a bunch of information under Data--I think it's the name and stuff of my DVD.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

5. LauraMJ

Yay! The Repair Tool worked. Tried the first link, and that did not help. Didn't try the second one, since I have Pro, not Home. Tried the Repair tool, and it said that "current user policy" was the problem. Repaired that, logged out, logged in, and it still did not work. Ran it a second time and it then said that the problem was "local computer policy." Repaired that, logged out, logged in, and YES, it works! (y)

How on earth those two policies got messed up, I have no idea. :confused: I never changed them. :confused:

But thank you, Phantom, for those registry edits. :D

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885287