1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVDRW not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkdev1l, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkdev1l

darkdev1l Thread Starter

Hi all, Ive had my laptop for a couple of years now, its a acer aspire 5630 and up until about 5 days ago it had xp media center edition installed on it and I never had any problems with the hardware. But as I said about 5 days ago I installed vista ultimate x64 (a clean install). And everythings fine except for the fact that yesterday i ran my antispyware and usually on the startup screen i can also include the dvd drive and external drives (i presume thats the same with all of them), but yesterday I only had the option of checking my C drive the dvd drive wasn't shown. So I clcked on my computer and I couldn't see it there either (started to panic) looked in disk management and its not there, bearing in mind it was very late last night I quickly went on google and found a few other people had a problem with they're pc not recognising they're dvd drive, and someone had posted a reply saying to go into regedit giving the name of the file and then looking in the box on the right for upper case files and lower case files, deleting them, and reboot your computer. I don't even have those 2 files in the corresponding folder in regedit. I even put a disc in hoping that it'll start to turn and i'll have a popup saying new hardware found. I even downloaded driver detective so that it'll give me a report about it and the model number, driver detective says TSST DVD/W TS-632D ATA is unplugged. Please does anyone know how or why and how I can fix this problem. Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    An extensive Google search turns up a number of people with that model Samsung drive and the same/similar problems. I believe the problem is likely driver related. Possibly firmware, but I found no driver or firmware updates for that model. I believe it is driver related because Samsung apparently has not provided drivers (or firmware updates) for that model to use with Vista 64bit. If the drive is not showing up in Device Manager I believe the best you can do is either revert to XP, or possibly Vista 32bit. I would think a known working configuration with XP would be preferable. Entering TSST DVD/W TS-632D did bring up a couple of forum entries that mentioned firmware. Those forums were in a language I cannot read, so I do not know if there was any relevant information to be found there.

3. darkdev1l

darkdev1l Thread Starter

So basically i can revert to xp for which i'd have to buy the os as I dont have a disk, or buy a new drive.

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    If (note I said "if") you can not find a driver/firmware solution, yes. A CD/DVD drive can be purchased and installed easily. It would cost considerably less than purchasing Windows XP and installing it. I would continue searching for a driver fix of course but the replacement may be your best and least expensive solution.

5. darkdev1l

darkdev1l Thread Starter

Something weird and confusing has happened. The dvd drive has reappeared in my computer, thinking i was seeing things i bought up the device meneger page and sure enoughits listed again correct name and model number and all. would you say everything is back to normal or should i still be cautious and look for firmware for this device to be sure everything is ok ?.

6. darkdev1l

darkdev1l Thread Starter

Its now disappeared again ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!