1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Dying HD need help backing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vandaria, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

I just recently posted this on the SOLVED unable to write to drive C post. But incase you breeze past it I will bring my problem up here as well.

Well thank you for all these posts on this subject. Turns out I am having the exact same problem as you (GRRRRRRRR)...now I know I will need to get a new drive, which is no biggie, but here is the kicker. In normal mode I no longer have the ability to use my mouse. Somewhere I guess upon bootup it wont recognize it. So here I am with a ton of files I have no way of backing up. Figured I could just burn them all to cd but again I cant do anything without my mouse. I know I can use the tab button but I belive that with that I cant get my cd burner program working that well (need to point and click).

Now in safe mode I do get my mouse so if that makes sense lol who knows.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get this to work? I can see in normal mode that there is an error in device manager relating to my mouse...but again this doesnt show up in safe mode.

Thanks in advance!!
    Jessica

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Why not post the exact error message you see there? If it is a missing driver- you may have an install floppy with some drivers that need installing... sometimes, just hitting Remove in Device Manager for the errored device and letting them reinstall upon restart takes care of the problem. What make and model mouse do you have? Windows version?
    If you have just a plain PS/2 mouse, switch to that- if you have a USB or wireless, something that could be broken...might get you by the backup at least.

3. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

Sorry I think I confused ya a bit as I said this was in a previous post. Basically my hard drive is shot. This is all in ref to teh unable to write to drive c post that was made at another time.
    I am one of course who never thought to back up files so now I am in a panic hence the reasons for not specifying my errors. (not to mention I am ready to fall asleep)

I am on a Win 98 2nd edition incase that helps with any commands.

Currently I am trying to tab my way over to the mouse in the device manager.....

K this is what it says:
    This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the file (vmouse.VXD) that loads the drivers for the device.(code 8)

To fix this problem run windows setup again using your windows cdrom.

I have now put my disk in and its wanting me to set up windows ??? and then talks about backing up my files....like its going to reinstall windows over what I have?? Is this going to delete my info ? or should I just try to find another way?

4. Byteman

No, it wont delete any of your files, but it may not help much. You should be able to just click "Remove" on your mouse entry in device manager, Safe Mode will work for that, and reboot , should go to Normal mode, and the mouse should reinstall...if it needs special drivers, you need whatever install disk it used when new...if none, all files should be replaced. Have the Windows CD ready to put in, point to it when asked for location of drivers....set it to look in whatever drive letter your CDROM is...BROWSE the CD, win9x folder, hit OK, should reinstall files... No reason to run entire Windows setup unless you want to. You may see some "version date" messages if you do....older files on CD, newer on hard drive, usually it is advised to keep the newer version of a file, but it gets confusing. Also, if the hard drive is shot, the setup may hang, make things a lot worse.

5. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

Ok booting into safe mode and going to try the deleting of the mouse

6. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

It didnt recognize it as being there upon normal bootup going to go back into safe mode and see if mouse is still listed (btw its just the mouse it came with)

7. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

oh yes and went to add new hardware in normal mode..it lists the mouse but with an ! on it..I tell it thats the item that needs to be installed and it is ignoring it...again heading back to safe mode

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

9. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

woohoo! got my mouse back...lol now as long as it stays here until I am done. Thank you very much for both your help (tho I didnt get to try yours ACA but ty all the same =) )

Will let you know if I go thru any other probs.

Now the fun part lol

Take care!!

Jessica

10. Byteman

Vandaria- hope it stays together so you can resuce data- just post back if you need anything, we will be glad to have a go.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice