1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dying Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrPhyntch, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrPhyntch

MrPhyntch Thread Starter

I just got a computer that was shipped just after it was built. The computer was tested and WIndows installed on it before it shipped. However, once received, it would not stay on for more than a few seconds. I checked the Power Supply and it was rated at 350W for a gaming rig that I personally wouldn't have put anything less than a 500W in (and I'd like to have put in a 650W). So I pull out my 500W tester PSU and try it out, and it stayed on for over 5 minutes before I turned it off again, but I could not get video to display on it at all. So I pulled out the video card to test if the onboard still works, and now, the computer isn't staying on for more than 10 seconds for me, either. Thinking maybe my tester's going bad, I've tried other testers PSUs and they all do the same thing. I've even stripped the computer, one part at a time, down to the bone, so only the Mobo is actually receiving power (no CPU on the board either), and it still turns off after maybe 10 seconds or so. It doesn't have a speaker on it and I don't have any to test with, so I can't tell if it's doing the POST beep or not, but the fact that even with nothing else on the mobo it won't stay powered on has me worried that the mobo may be dead. I don't have enough money to get a new mobo just to test it, only if the part will actually work, so I need to be sure. Any ideas of more tests, or is it pretty sure now?

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

Try with one stick of RAM, but if it's new I would RMA it anyway.

3. MrPhyntch

MrPhyntch Thread Starter

With one stick of RAM in it has stayed on for about 5 minutes now, and I haven't turned it off yet. However, I have no video out from it. It only has one onboard VGA port, so there's no chance of it being in the wrong port (and the vid card is removed).

Still seems like a dead mobo. Any other thoughts? I'll just try to RMA this by the end of the day if I get no further replies.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Where did you get the computer from that it was underpowered and not working from the day it arrived? It certainly sounds like a bad board, but I don't see why you're not pursuing a refund or replacement under the terms in which you bought it.

5. MrPhyntch

MrPhyntch Thread Starter

Technically it's a computer for a friend that had another friend across the country build the machine and send it to him while I was unable to. It's not actually my computer, and RMAing will need to go through a couple of different channels, which is the main reason I'm putting that off if I can, and buying a replacement isn't a good possibility either, as my friend doesn't have enough money to replace.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You've narrowed it down to a bad board. I'm not sure what else you think your options are at this point. Someone is going to be out the money. Having one person build it and then ship it to someone else and then ship it to yet someone else is not the way to build a computer. Sounds like the first guy didn't know what he was doing if he put a 350 watt power supply in it.

7. MrPhyntch

MrPhyntch Thread Starter

That's what I thought, just wanted to get some additional input. Thanks everyone, I'll make sure to take care of this right.

And BTW, with one stick of RAM it's been on for 3 hours straight, but still no video. So yeah, pretty much finished trying to figure it out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!