1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dynamic Disk Unreadable -Frustrated & Angry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wacky.banana, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wacky.banana

wacky.banana Thread Starter

The drive in question is a dynamic data disk, not my system drive.

I had reason to re-install windows onto my system drive. Before I did that I checked to make sure that the data drive, which is formatted as an NTFS drive, and is a dynamic disk, was intact and functioning ok.

With XP installed on the system drive I went to look for the data drive in explorer (have done this procedure on many occasions without problems) and could not see the drive. Go to administrative tools and I see a message that says the drive is unreadable.

I have scanned the drive with maxtor tools and it has absolutely no errors on it whatsoever.

Anyone know what the problem is and therefore the solution please? Never had this problem before using this configuration. If I can get the drive back on line I can at least move the latest pieces of data to another drive then reformat it.

I have tried using a number of data recovery tools but as they can't see the drive I can't do anything here. If I type diskpart in DOS the drive is listed but, again, can't do anything with it. This is hugely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

WB

2. wacky.banana

OK, let's look atthis from a slightly different angle; what tools could you recommend that will allow me to drag my data off this drive onto another, so I can access the data on a new drive?

Have tried using Linux (Knoppix, to be exact) to do this. However while I can read data off the old drive onto the new, XP can't see the data on the new drive.

Any help/constructive suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

WB

3. happyrck

happyrck

4. wacky.banana

Happyrck,

Thanks for this. I was already aware of the ms knowledge base stuff but the lazyadmin item looks interesting. Will let you know how I get on.

WB

5. happyrck

happyrck

you might want to make a image of the drive before doing anything...to be safe

6. wacky.banana

Happyrck,

Just to let you know that it worked. data is visible again and has been backed up to another drive.

Many thanks for your input.

WB

7. happyrck

happyrck

your welcome....(y)
    you can use the thread tools to mark this as solved

8. coolwavepic

coolwavepic

Can you tell me how this was solved? The Link doesnt work.

9. wacky.banana

Coolwavepic,

Weird seeing an old thread come back to haunt one. Spooky!

Anyroad, casting my mind back I used a set of tools within PE Builder to get the drive recognised as a valid drive so I could see my data. Once done I simply copied off what I needed to another drive then reformatted the original drive.

Do a search on the net for PE Builder and see what you can find. If you get stuck come back to me and I will dig out what I have on this.

Good luck.

WB

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice