1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: E-Mail from Nigeria!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by imawriter, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

E-mail from Nigeria!

Besieged by [email protected] Delivery Notification
    "Postmaster @ Delivery Notification Today 1:34 am 6KB"...14 e-mails on my Verizon e-mail site! They all say the same thing and are identical.

I tried deleting all of them and they came back. Then I tried sending them to my Spam folder and they came back aqain...sometimes 13 times, sometimes 14 times..... This has happened three or four times.

When I looked for a suggestion from Verizon, one suggestion was to change my password. I did that and they still came back. This is my master e-mail address for my account on Verizon so I can't change it without starting over.

I decided to click on one of the many messages and this is what it said. What a SCAM! So how do I get rid of it and avoid getting more?

THE PRESIDENCY
    OFFICE OF THE CHIEF AUDITOR TO THE PRESIDENT
    INTERNATIONAL CREDIT SETTLEMENT DEPT
    FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE
    Our Ref: FGN /SNT/STB

ATTENTION BENEFICIARY:

THIS IS TO OFFICIALLY INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE DONE VERIFICATION ON YOUR CONTRACT /INHERITANCE FILE AND FOUND OUT WHY YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR PAYMENT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT FULFILLED THE OBLIGATIONS GIVING TO YOU IN RESPECT TO YOUR CONTRACT / INHERITANCE PAYMENT.

SECONDLY WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT YOU ARE STILL DEALING WITH THE NON OFFICIALS IN THE BANK. SUCH ILLEGAL ACT LIKE THAT HAVE TO BE STOPPED IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT SINCE WE HAVE DECIDED TO BRING A SOLUTION TO THAT ,RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ARRANGED YOUR PAYMENT THROUGH OUR SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC, THAT IS THE LATEST INSTRUCTION BY THE PRESIDENT CHIEF GOODLUCK JONATHAN (GCFR) FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
    THIS CARD CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD, BUT THE MAXIMUM IS FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS PER DAY, IF YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND THIS WAY PLEASE LET US KNOW BY FORWARDING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION;

1.YOUR FULL NAME
    1. PHONE AND FAX NUMBER,
    2. ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT THEM TO SEND THE ATM CARD TO(P.O BOX NOT ACCEPTED)
    3. YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION

THE ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT $5,5m (FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS AS THE PARTIAL PAYMENT ) FOR YOUR INFORMATION .MEANWHILE YOU HAVE TO STOP ANY FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR OFFICE(S). THIS IS TO AVOID ANY HITCHES IN FINALIZING YOUR PAYMENT.
    EMAIL BACK AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR MORE DIRECTION ON THIS REGARDS ON HOW TO CONTACT THE SWIFT CARD CONSULT PAYMENT CENTER FOR IMMEDIATE ISSUING OF YOUR ATM CARD

NOTE: THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS, WE HEREBY ISSUED YOU OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS (118) YOU HAVE TO INDICATE THIS CODE IN ALL FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE.
    Best Regards

PROF.KIKA SANNI
    NOTE:ALL RESPONSE SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
    Report Quote Multi-Quote This Message Reply
    techguy.org/1032159

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can't you add a rule to block that sender?

3. MarcATL

MarcATL

I've been online from 1994, and one thing I've learned during that time is to delete everything from Nigeria.
    Unfortunately.

4. hewee

hewee

How about trying a program like MailWasher that lets you delete the email at the server or bounce it back to sender.

http://www.firetrust.com

5. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I did delete them, twice,even before I knew they were from Nigeria. Then when I kept getting them, I clicked on one to discover it was from Nigeria, and I moved it to Spam but it didn't go away. They are still coming today.

6. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

How do i "add a rule?" I am holding off on Mail Washer because, although there is a free trial, then you have to pay. I will try the "rule" first when I receive the information.

Thanks in advance.

7. hewee

hewee

I think or always had a FREE version of MailWasher.

Your limited with the free version to only one email account.

OK Guess I use the wrong link.
    Note that the address is not the same because I have you link to the Pro version. Hey I have the Pro version so the link from it too me there.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

It showes what all the Free and Pro version do.

So the free version will still help you out a lot because you will NOT have to download any spam and not have any bad things that could be in the emails effect your PC.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

A couple of useful links to read:

How do Spammers Harvest Email Addresses

Seems Like You Volunteered to Receive Spam?

MailWasher is with no doubt a reputable product. Even though I have never tried it, I would tend to believe that a service like SpamArrest should be quite hard to beat. If you're REALLY tired of spam, I think it may be the only service that can block 100% of spam instantly. No popular anti-spam program (MailWasher and many others...) will block everything, and you'll be constantly adding more and more to your block list. It's a never ending cycle.

And by the way, in my opinion, one of the best ways to get spam and other email crap, is by giving in to chain letters - the famous "forward this to 10 of your friends" caper. Eventually, every single address on that chain letter will land up on a spammer's list. When you forward chain letters, you expose your own email address and those of all the other people who got duped into perpetuating the junk mail because they are either superstitious or stupid, or both.

9. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I agree with you about the chain e-mails and never forward them. As for my Nigerian e-mails, I tried looking for help on the Verizon e-mail site, clicked on Help and saw the following. It suggested using their Spam Detector by listing the e-mail address used by the Nigerians, "Postmaster, etc." So I sent all but two there and left two in my Inbox, so that I could see if their numbers increased. I didn't really know if the Spam Detector would work.

So far, in the last two days I have not gotten any more. I will be watching carefully and, if I get more, will try sending all of them to the Spam Detector. Maybe I'll get lucky. Will let you know. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am definitely saving them.

10. hewee

hewee

Good luck.

11. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Thanks...and Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

12. hewee

hewee

Have a good weekend.

13. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Wanted to wait a few days before replying to see if Verizon's Spam detector fixed the problem. It looks like it did. I will check in three more days and if it is still OK will let you know.

Thanks for your help.

14. hewee

hewee

Sounds like a plan so lets hope it works out great.

15. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Well...my Nigerian e-mails have not come back, so I will hope they don't...and count my blessings. Same to you all. Thanks again for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice