1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: E-mail/User accounts

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by iOXeR, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iOXeR

iOXeR Thread Starter

Hello,
    I want to be able to give people who go to my website the ability to become a member to access personalized pages and/or e-mail. I'm not really sure which programs I should use and how I should go about doing this. Thanks.

2. pterygiod

pterygiod

Difficult unless u have coding experience, but as a starting point you should check-out PHP.

See www.phpnuke.org & www.postnuke.com

These are systems designed allow you to administer user accounts, grant privilages etc. The webpage is already designed, but you can change anything you want once you learn.

3. iOXeR

iOXeR Thread Starter

Are those programs like phpBB? I've dealt with phpBB a little bit.

4. pterygiod

pterygiod

not familiar with phpbb but i had a quick look and if you can use and like it. You will love the added features in other CMS system like php-nuke, ...

As for giving email to users you would need to code something in perl? and this may be quite difficult, and your webserver would fill up with crap from users. u would be better off to do it manually for selected users

5. iOXeR

iOXeR Thread Starter

I was planning on doing it manually and only allowing certain people, say members of the organization, to gain access. What would you recommend for the e-mail server software? Thanks for the info so far, it has helped a great deal!

6. pterygiod

pterygiod

I take it once you've decided on how you will build this site you will have it remotely hosted?
    If this is the case you should choose a linux host and 'sendmail' will do you mail for you.
    You can set this up yourself but it's not hard to find a cheap host company that will give you free email and up to 100 users some unlimit. If this is the case you log in and create a user (no privilages) that user will have the address [email protected] and can send and recieve from their comuter.
    If you want webmail, sorry i have no experience here.

7. iOXeR

iOXeR Thread Starter

Thanks for the info you've provided, it's helped a lot! :)

8. cnelson04

cnelson04

BTW; I wouldn't even go near php-nuke or other CMS unless your prepaired to re-do the whole site, i think that CMS make the web adminastor less professional. -cnelson. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice