1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: E7200 in Acer Aspire SA80

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

My dad has a 2 year old Acer Aspire SA80-9B7Z
    the Cpu fan is going crazy whenever he starts doing stuff and ist REALLY noisy
    as far as I know its Socket LGA775 and its Pentium 4 524 3.02Ghz with HT

will an E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz go straight into that?

or will he need a new Motherboard also

he plays NO games and is a silver surfer and just browses, radio , downloads music...
    i know its a bit more power than he needs but he fancys it cos he's loving his PC....

thanks

2. Sponsor

3. BG-0

BG-0

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

what about a quieter fan?
    is there any u suggest or is it poss? i mean MOSTLY its that noise but he would like the performance - he WOULD put a new MOBO in in have too...

5. BG-0

BG-0

If he wanted a new MB, then I'd need other specs too to mention one that would work.. For a new cooler, Zalman has some great solutions, about 17-20 dBA at silent mode.

For MB, this could be fine, still, depends on the other hardware going to be used on it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128085R
    CPU coolers: Heavy duty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223 A bit more compact and light, and cheaper one(propably your choice as he got a mATX board, meaning less spare space): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...35&Description=CPU+cooler&name=ARCTIC+COOLING I don't know what's up with the prices and stuff, but I think you still should get the more expensive with free shipping, just to be sure as the other one has no reviews and seems like just a flaw on newegg site.

I'd like to add that I really beally can't ensure that the MB and other stuff will fit in the Aspire's case.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended

what about this?

also I couldnt see any choices in BIOS to lower CPU Fans speeds - it only told the speed
    at 1200rpm is ok the CPU hovers at 50'c
    as soon as 52'c kicks in it goes to 2400rpm and is really noise , want doesnt help the fan has a disapater that channels is air out of case - and the noise :(

dont wanna install this cooler HSF if the mobo is gunna turn it on anyway???

can you help?

His current specs are
    Acer Aspire SA80
    XP home
    Intel P4 3Ghz HT
    2 x 512Mb
    SiS onboard gfx
    DVD drive

thats about it...

can you help?

thanks

7. BG-0

BG-0

Heh, just the other one I linked. One of the pros here uses that, and has advertised it quite much as a good quality and good performance per buck(pound too) one. I think the mobo only can affect the stock fan, and that will keep it cool enough anyway to not fire it up to the full and will be quite silent @ full speed too.

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

so what should i do?

Get the Arctic Solution Fan?
    if I use my arctic5 thermal silver paste is should drop in temp and stop the top temp coming up and starting the fan at full speed...yes?

9. BG-0

BG-0

Yes. Correct.

10. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks we cleaned - loads of fluff of under the fan on top of the heatsink and is much better - like it was when new -only comes on (loud) when graphics instensive happens cos built-in SiS graphics... he happy for now till we get artic cooler for £15 and arctic silver5 stuff

thanks for your help

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!