Solved: Easy question about unallocated space??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alamal

I've done a clean unstall of XP Pro and thought I eliminated a partioned drive (C: & D:) but now have 10G of unallocated space and a C: drive.

My question is, how do I consolidate so everything just reads C: or how do I get that 10G back??
Please help and may God bless,
Peter

You could use disk management (Start - Run - type in 'compmgmt.msc') without the '', and create and format a partition to use as storage. If you want to reclaim the space and make 1 partition, you'll need a 3rd party partitioning program such as Partition Magic. Another option is to reformat and partiton the full size of the hard drive, which I'm sure you are trying to avoid having to do.

alamal

Thanks unbidden, I wound up reformatting which, yes, I did want to avoid but hey, it worked!
I tried the disk manangement thing but the option to delete the partition was greyed out. I wasn't quite sure how to eliminate the unallocated space in order to combine all the space onto the one and only drive letter but again, after putzin' around with the reinstall I figured it out.
Thanks so much for the reply and may God bless!
Peter

"I wasn't quite sure how to eliminate the unallocated space in order to combine all the space onto the one "

You wouldn't not be able to eliminate the space but could have used that space to create a partition for use as storage.

Example:
C:\Local disk (80 gig)
F:\ Storage (10 gig)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online