Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Easy question, easy answer hopefully.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gary rabbitt 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

There is something that happens occasionally when I am typing. Whether in a text program or typing in a messagebox on a forum, it can happen.

Hope I can explain it clearly.
OK lets say I am typing a paragraph, and (I can't type properly, so once in a while my fingers stray to the wrong keys), so after I accidentally hit some key combination, the following happens:

If I go into the previously typed paragraph, and let's say I want to insert a word, when I type, the word will appear, but will not "move' the text over, it will overwrite it. Typing more will just overwrite whatever I have already typed.
I should be able to insert a word or any text in there and the previous text should move over.

I would have to start the page over again, and everything seems ok. I KNOW it is a key I hit accidentally, or a key combination. Otherwise, like typing here everything seems fine.

What could I be hitting that would cause the new text to overwrite the previous text?
Hope I have explained it well.
Thanks in advance, Gary.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
I will try that next time it happens, and try to reset the problem. But I know that I don't come close to the Insert key when I am typing. So what "turns on" overwriting the text instead of moving it?

When I need to insert something , I just put the cursor into the sentence, then type away.

What keys would cause me to not be able to insert text? I have a feeling that it is a lower key, like ctrl or alt combined with a letter. After I do that, the problem happens.

So far, I have not been able to recreate the problem. A sure way would be to use a keylogger to see what I hit, but I don't want to open a can of worms with installing something like that. :)

Thanks, Gary

WinXP

#5 ·
Thanks Double,
I was not aware that would toggle the "overstrike" feature. Maybe ctrl + I or something, maybe someone else will come in and know for sure,.
Anyhow, this should get me out of trouble next time.

Take care my friend, and have a great week.
Gary.

#8 ·
Hitting the Insert key would be the only thing that would replace inserting text with overwriting, as far as I can tell. There could be something under your keys that is making the Insert key stick, or activate sometimes, when you hit backspace. I used to have an issue with Caps Lock turning on about half the time I hit the A key, and cleaning the keyboard solved it.

#9 ·
HI Staw,
The keyboard is clean, I think it's just my fingers straying around. I did check the key shortcuts on the MS site, and there was indeed none for Insert.

Maybe one of these years, I will learn to type properly, being retired now, I do have the time :)
At least I know how to toggle the overtype command.

I will consider this thread solved. Take care my friend,
Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.