Solved: Editing a HTML document

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Prof

How do I edit HTML documents?
I used to be able to edit them by right clicking on the page and choosing "view source" and then I was able to edit the HTML coding.
Since I had a virus cleaned up by a tech friend I haven't been able to edit HTML documents. He may have changed a setting.
I have Vista and IE.
Many thanks!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Html files are just plain text files. You can open them in just about any editor. Notepad, Word, etc...

Prof

Thanks for your reply.
When I type HTML code into Notepad and save to "documents" with the extension... (name.html), it will open in "documents", but I can't edit it by right clicking on the document and clicking on "view source". The HTML code is there, but I can't change it........confusing.

After you "View Source", save the file to your hard drive then open it with an HTML editor, or a text editor like Notepad.

Prof

Many thanks, all. I think I have it.
Much appreciated.
duane

Mike M

Instead of opening in notepad, you might want to use Microsoft Frontpage, as you can edit and add without knowing code.

Prof

Several of you have helped me with this problem and you gave me a new way to edit the code on a HTML document. However, I would still like to do it the way I did before.......right clicking on the HTML document and clicking "view source" to edit the code.......I took a screen shot of what I get when I do that, see attachment. It doesn't allow me to edit the code. It it a security problem or what?
Many thanks!
duane

Attachments

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Why do you keep posting this stuff in the Digital Photography category?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Prof

I have merged your new post with your original thread and marked it unsolved...and moved it to the Web & Email forum.
This way we will avoid duplicating efforts and keep the history intact.
Please continue replies for this issue in this thread.
Thank you

Prof

Many thanks, the links you provided will solve my problem. Sorry if I upset anyone with my duplication, just got frustrated.
Much appreciated!
Duane

Prof

Cwwozniak, many thanks for that link......you're a life saver,lol.
Many thanks!

cwwozniak

Chuck
You're welcome. I guess you can mark this topic as "Solved" for real this time. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online