1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: EIDE hard drive troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smiles n' grins, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins Thread Starter

I have an older DELL, like 4 years old. I was running low on space, so I went hard drive shopping. I went to a store (unamed :p ) and talked to an associate. I thought I could only have a IDE hard drive to add, but he said an EIDE would work. So I bought one, a 320 GB. But when I opened up my computer, it had NO extra bracket to mount it on and it had only one slot to put the cord in. I stuck it in there with duct tape and I dug in some cords I had laying around, and found a double cord for a master drive and a slave drive. After hooking it all up, I boot up Windows and sadly, it would not work. It was stuck on the screen with the DELL logo and a message something like "BIOS REVISION A00." So I shut the PC down, reboot, and go to setup. It says both the new AND the old are both unknown devices. Frustrated, I shut down, and put the old cord (for only one hard drive, my original/boot drive) back on. I turn it back on; BOOM it's back to normal. I have a few questions:

- Can I really use an EIDE hard drive?

- Is the cord the problem or another problem?

*most important* - How can I fix it????

I'm so frustrated right now. Help me please!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you use an EIDE drive, yes because thats what all new drives are and have been for the latest decade but everyone calls then IDE.

Is the cable the issue, probably not.

What could be the issue is the jumper. Change the jumper on the original drive thats connected to the end of the cable to Master and the new drive connected to the middle connector to Slave.

You'll also have to enter the BIOS setup using F1 and change the Primart Slave device to Auto from None or the drive won't be recognized or won't work correctly.

Also being a 4 year old computer you may need a BIOS update to recognize such a big drive. There's a BIOS limitation of 137GB on older systems. You can download the latest BIOS update from the Dell update to add 48 bit LBA support if your system doesn't see the drive or see it at the full capacity.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just checked the BIOS updates for the Dell Dimension 2400, the Inspiron line are laptops, and it was made in 2003 and none of the BIOS updates mention 48 bit LBA so based on the date you don't need to update the BIOS it should already support drives that big.

4. Smiles n' grins

I checked the hard drive manual, and it said that it would be compatible, so I found that out.

Please define "jumper." I can find it, just need to know where to look :p

And I had changed the bios slave to "OFF" and it still would not boot.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, and you don't want it OFF or the drive will not work properly.

7. Smiles n' grins

I DON'T want to turn off Primary slave? If it's on, neither drive works. If its off, it can't boot. The only way I can boot is if I disconnect it completely. I will try the jumpers. Thanks!

8. Smiles n' grins

Well, I found the problem. The jumper was put in wrong, so dell is to blame (n)

But a new problem occured when I put it right: I booted up, but it found neither either hard drive or either of two cd drives :eek:

What's going on?

Oh No! I found out it's a DIMENSION, not an an INSPIRON!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt it was on wrong, it likely was set to Cable Select which normally works fine but the new drive would have to be set to CS as well. Sometimes CS doesn't work like its suppose to either, and the Master and Salve need to be set on each drive.

Check the BIOS and make sure the drives are set to Auto/ON and being detected. Make sure the cable for the CD-ROM drives hasn't come loose at either end or a power connector to one of the drives hasn't come out.

For the hard drive, see if it shows in Disk Management, if it does then you need to partition and format it before it can be used.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have run into a few of the Dell Dimension models that will not work with the drives set to anything else but Cable Select, in which case you would also have to make sure that the drives are positioned properly on the IDE cable. I have both a Dimension B110 and a Dimension 3000 here right now that both have to have the drives set to cable select to work.

11. Smiles n' grins

Cable select - ???

BIOS will not detect ANYTHING (hard drives, cd drives) when the second one is connected. To boot up with just the first, I need a single cable. Both drives are set to AUTO, there is no ON. CD cables = ok.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A Dell dimension 2400 should work with two hard drives attached both set to Cable select, the boot drive on the end of the cable and the second drive (Slave) on the middle connector. Both drives must be jumpered to Cable Select. This is usually shown as CS on the jumper layout legend. When Dell Ships a computer with a single Hard drive it is jumpered as Cable Select from the factory.

13. Smiles n' grins

But my problem is, BIOS won't recognize both at the same time. My old one is master, the new one the slave. Jumpers are set right, cable select is right. Gray = slave, black = master. What the heck's wrong? Can the motherboard handle it? Do I need updates?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Leaving the Cable for multiple hard drives in place should pose no problem even if only one drive is installed. If you indeed have an 80 conductor 40 pin cable, connect the single hard drive to end connector.

Have you tried connecting just the new hard drive to the end connector and see if it is recognized by in BIOS? Also mounting the hard drive with duct tape should work, but you want to make sure there is something insulating the circuit board to prevent any shorts. The Dimension computers use a hard drive bracket that for some reason Dell will not sell you. There is an aftermarket bracket available though I can't find my link to that site any more. If you have a computer recycling shop n your area you can check with them to see if they have a hard drive bracket. I found one at the one where I live and it only cost me a dollar. But they are not easy to come by.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard can handle it.

So have you tried moving the jumpers on each drive to Cable Select as DustyJay suggested? Cable Select is another jumper setting similar to Master and Slave but lets the system decide based on where the drives are connected. See the legend on each drive on where to put the jumper to enable Cable Select.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice