1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Eject CD & Lose Internet Connection!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by I.B.Moore, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I.B.Moore

I.B.Moore Thread Starter

The title pretty much says it all. If I eject a CD while online I temporarily lose my internet connection. Also when I turn off (dismount) my external Hard Drive I lose my internet connection as well.(I lose the connection & then it resets itself!) Any Ideas as to why this may be happening? :confused:

2. I.B.Moore

I.B.Moore Thread Starter

For everyone's info I present the following from Linksys/Cisco Community Forums:

From yleclerc:

Yes, it seems to be a known problem. Whenever the Wireless Network software is installed, the wireless adapter may disconnect when:

-- Connecting another USB device
    -- Disconnecting any USB device
    -- Inserting CD / DVD
    -- Ejecting CD / DVD
    -- Ejecting Digital camera medias

No real solution since Linksys has not revised the drviers / software. :rolleyes:

The "other" solution of using RALink drivers does not seem to be a true solution. Most of the time, the RALink driver will not detect the Linksys adapter.

from Star:

I solved this by uninstalling the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor. I no longer disconnect from the internet when I turn off a USB or Firewire device (ipod, canon mx850 printer, external hard drive). However, using Windows Zero Configuration isn't a perfect solution. The drawback is that I have frequent 2-5 second freeze ups in World of Warcraft with WZC, especially in combat. So my workaround is to stop the WZC service once I have booted up and have an internet connection. It is quite annoying!

Thank You Linksys.... :mad:

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the real workaround is to stop using USB for networking. :)

4. I.B.Moore

I.B.Moore Thread Starter

Good point, Sir! :)

Unfortunately, here @ this residence I'm forced to use USB for now.... :(

By the way, thank you for all you do to help others! (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice