1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Emachine will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flying welshman, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flying welshman

flying welshman Thread Starter

I've got an Emachine T2796. I can't get it to start. I've gone to their website, but they weren't any help. I have opened the computer and unplugged and replugged in every cord that I see, but that has not helped. When the computer is plugged in, it makes a buzzing sound. I am pretty sure that it is coming from the power supply. There is also a small green light on the motherboard.

Does anyone have some advice?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

I would take the tower to a repair facility and have them test the power supply. If the power supply tests bad (which I suspect it will) have them "jump" a known good power supply to the motherboard to see if the machine will boot.

eMachines normally used Bestec power supplys, and when they fail, unfortunately most of the time when the power supply fails, it will also "take out" the motherboard.

3. flying welshman

OK. I have replaced the power supply. It still won't turn on. I took it to a computer shop, and they also said that it is probably the motherboard. What is the best way to order a new motherboard?

4. flying welshman

Actually, I guess my question actually is: how do I find the right motherboard for my computer.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

My records for eMachines indicates the T2796 had an Intel D845GVSR motherboard. That is a socket 478 board, and I feel sure you would not be able to get a direct replacement from eMachines.

If you can't get a direct replacement from eMachines then you would have to try to locate an Intel 845 series motherboard so you could re-use your processor and existing memory. You would also have to purchase a new operating system since the old eMachine recovery disks (if you have them) would not work with a replacement board unless it was a direct replacement from eMachines.

I would do a Google search for an Intel 845 series board (complete board with I/O shield) or you may try an online auction such as eBay.

Even if you find a standard Intel 845 series board, you MAY have to do some re-wiring on the front panel header if eMachines used a manufacturer proprietary pinout.

Since you are dealing with older technology you may be better off just to purchase a new machine rather than expend a couple of hundred dollars on a socket 478 machine.

6. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda

You need to find the number on your motherboard and do a google search for that number and you will find one alot cheaper than what Emachines wants for it. I will look around and see if I can find anything and post back.

7. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda

8. flying welshman

9. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda

I think I would check into a doing a upgrade something like a bare bones system. That way you just reuse all of your old drives. I get a lot of parts here http://www.3btech.net/ And I have never had any problems.

10. flying welshman

Yeah, I think it would be better to get a good new computer than a bare bones and harvest the old parts.

How likely is it that the motherboard is the problem?

11. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda

I have used Emachines for several years, because of the low cost and the power supply has died on each one. I think you said you have replaced the power supply and it did not help. I have had one kill the cpu when the power supply died and one that killed the motherboard. But I was able to swap parts between machines and find what was the not working. I think your right in just buying a new machine. Sorry

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are better off buying new because the other "rub" is if you don't use an eMachine motherboard, then your Windows restore disks will not work either so you will wind up buying a copy of Windows as well.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice