1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: eMachines 4682 no power, button just blinks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpmgrp, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpmgrp

cpmgrp Thread Starter

My daughter's emachines 4682 had been giving her problems then finally went kaput. When you try to turn it on, the green light surrounding the power button just blinks fast, but the computer will not boot or even turn on. Power supply, maybe?

I decided to remove the cover. For safety, I unplugged mouse/k'board/monitor, then took the cover off, wiggled some wires, hit the power button and the light stayed green, fan spun, HD spun. I quickly plugged in all peripherals, got to admin screen for XP Home, but could not get mouse or K'board to work (I don't think I got them plugged in quickly enough - both are USB, mouse is wireless), so I couldn't get past that screen. I manually turned off, tried to restart and... back to the old problem, fast-blinking green light, no power. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Thanks for any help.
    dd

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

any fans working?

3. pinntech

pinntech

Hi and welcome!

Not 100% sure what the “blinking green” means, but the first step in troubleshooting the problem would be to do the following:

Unplug the computer from the outlet, push the power button and hold it for approximately 30 seconds (discharge residual power).

Now plug it back into the power sources and try it again.

You can actually chat with tech support on these systems at the following address:

https://support.gateway.com/Support/copilot/en/us/chat_us_em_tech.asp

According to their website, it is available 7 days a week from 3 a.m. to 12 (midnight) PST.

I would give them a try and then if you cannot get anywhere, do your own troubleshooting. “fast flashing green in most HP systems indicate that ‘no memory is installed’”. In other words, they may have a quick solution for you.

4. cpmgrp

cpmgrp Thread Starter

Not fixed, but diagnosed by Gateway Chat as motherboard. This one goes to parts bin.

Thanks pinntech for Gateway link.
    dd

5. kgm32

kgm32

Interesting Daughters PC started doing the same thing. It is a Soyo K7VM333 Motherboard. I find if I hold down the power key for 30 seconds release it, press again, it starts up 90 percent of the time...occasionally I have to do this twice. This started happening after I replaced a dead power supply so I am suspecting a flakey PS or the motherboard is not discharging residual power. I am sending back the PS but if the latter is the case does anyone have any thoughts how to get the motherboard to properly discharge w/o holding down the power switch.

6. cpmgrp

cpmgrp Thread Starter

does anyone have any thoughts how to get the motherboard to properly discharge w/o holding down the power switch.

While standing in a tub of water, wet your thumb and forefinger, then touch... ;<)

sent you a private message few minutes ago

DD

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!