Solved: eMachines Dead - You Opinions Wanted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robert2513

Hi guys. Have a problem here and wanted to get your opinions before I go ahead and start purchasing parts.

About a month and a half ago, a friend of mine gave me an eMachines T2240 that died. He purchased a Dell and figured I needed a weekend project. :rolleyes:

The machine is a 2.2 GHz Celeron w/ 512 MB DDR memory, 40GB hard drive. Windows XP Home.

Anyway, I am finally getting around to it and I believe the motherboard is dead. First, a little bit of background information.

When I plug in the power, the power LED on the front of the case comes on and flickers. The CPU fan also comes on. When I press the power button, nothing happens. There are no diagnostics beeps and nothing comes up on the screen. All that happens when I press the button is the lights on the keyboard flash a couple of times and then go out. Sometimes the lights on the keyboard stay on but its random.

The machine has onboard video, so I popped in a PCI video card to see if the onboard video was dead but there was still no display. I tried another, good power supply and still the same problem. I checked the capacitors and removed extra peripherals such as the CD-ROM and 56k modem and tried booting with the basic parts, i.e. RAM, hard drive, CPU but still no go.

I have no extra motherboards that support Celeron processors nor do I have any Celeron processors around, so swapping parts are out. :(

I have read online that eMachines are notorious for having not-so-good power supplies and that they are usually the reason the machine dies.

Now, I first thought that the processor was dead b/c the keyboard LEDS and CPU fan still works: a good indication the motherboard was ok. But in thinking about it, say there was a power surge caused by the power supply, why would it skip the motherboard and go directly to the processor and damage it only. Which leads me to think the motherboard is damaged.

What do you folks think? I am thinking correctly? Is there anyway other way to tell which is dead?

Thanks in advance.
Robert2513

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hello Western PA person :) Been there, I think :D

Is there a local computer store that can test the cpu for you? The LEDs and cpu fan working is not an indicitive sign that the motherboard works. That just means those two things are getting pass through power.....

robert2513 said:
....... I have read online that eMachines are notorious for having not-so-good power supplies and that they are usually the reason the machine dies.
You could try swapping out the power supply then. ;)

The kindest thing would have been to let the poor tormented creature rest in peace (keep the processor and donate the remainder to a landfill site).

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I think he said he tried another power supply :D Pay attention :p

Okay...... right you are!

Must be the motherboard then.
Plenty of cheap Celeron capable boards still around. :)

robert2513

AcaCandy:
I never thought of that. I shall go now and give them a call.

Rumpo-Stiltskin:
Now wheres the fun in letting it "rest in peace"? :)

I would seriously doubt that the processor is damaged. Many times when the PSU fails it also takes out the motherboard.

If you are considering replacing the motherboard and using the eMachine DSP disk to reinstall the operating system it generally will not work unless you use an identical make/model of the original installed board.

If I recall correctly that particular machine used an Imperial-GLVE board made by TRIGEM.

Good Luck!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I would also doubt the cpu being the culprit, but I recently had a celeron go bye bye. Took it into Fry's Electronics and they confirmed it.

Processor failure can definately occur, however when you consider the internal hardware, i.e. PSU, mobo, RAM, HDD's, etc. the processor (either Intel or AMD) are the least likely to fail. I very, very seldom see a processor failure even when overcurrent conditions have wiped out other components.

robert2513

win2kpro:

I did think about using the eMachines recovery disk - which happens to be a ghost image. I popped it in my Dell laptop and when I booted it, it wanted to restore my hard drive. So I figure, its not looking for the eMachines BIOS. I did find a motherboard that has the same chipset: Intel D845GLVAL i845GL. I know the ethernet chipset doesn't match but the video and sound do.

But, if it doesn't work, the CD-Key is on the back of the machine, so I'll just have to do a fresh install of Windows.

Ddi the psu you tried have the same plugs? I still feel like psu first then motherboard because both are notoriously crap. I would pull the cpu, hard drive, cdrw and ram and throw away the rest and build new.

robert2513

Rick-M:
Yes, I pulled a "Pentium 4 Ready" power supply from another case I have. I was also going to replace the power supply. I don't want to take the chance of using the same power supply and having the same problem happen again.

LOL

I love the name "FRY'S Electronics"

:)

Anyhoo,

Asus makes a few good MATX m/b's that will work dandy in E-Machine cases,

Go to newegg.com
or zipzoomfly.com

for some good deals.

robert2513

Well, thanks for eveyone's imput. So I guess I'll go with changing the motherboard first and see what happens. :)

Now, onto NewEgg to see what deal I can get today.

Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online