1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: eMachines Recovery Disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kctom, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

My Dad has (had) an eMachines T3624 Desktop that recently had it's motherboard die. My brother replaced several parts to upgrade the PC, but for some reason didn't save any of my parents files off the old hard drive which was upgraded. They don't use the computer for much (mostly email and internet), but did have some photos and emails that would be nice to have. A while back the computer prompted me to make some backup disks for them, which I did. The problem is, now that this PC is "born-again", I don't really see any links to the old eMachines world, so I'm wondering if the recovery disks will work. It made 3 disks, but I'm guessing I'll need some kind of application to read the files. I did a quick search for "Pictures, Music and Video" on all 3 disks, but there were only a couple of results.

Does anyone know of a way that I can recover the files from the disk?

2. haycg

haycg

but for some reason didn't save any of my parents files off the old hard drive which was upgraded.

What do you mean by upgraded? Did he put in a new hard drive? If he did put the old
    hard drive in as a slave.
    If you mean he formated the old hard drive than your pictures are gone.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Those disks will reinstall Windows, drivers, and other programs. They don't contain your parent's data. If the drive was formatted and no backups were made, consider the data gone.

4. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

Sounds like the files are goners. The hard drive on the PC now is larger than the one that came with the original equipment. Looks like he upgraded it as well. I will ask him what he did with the old hard drive. My parents hate to ask him to help with things since he kind of has a "Tim the Toolman" Taylor affect although he means well. I will have to approach this delicately. Thanks for your help and wish me luck that he still has the old HD and it not's been re-formatted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice