1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: email download. tw0 of the same at one time

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lanfutz, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

I have a problem with Outlook in Win 7. Every time an email downloads I get two copies. I have checked with my ISP and they are only sending one message.
    I have an account with Outlook. com which receives the same emails as I get on my usual Outlook.
    I have recently but after this problem had started put Win 8 on my laptop and connected it to Outlook. com as I could then use it when away from home. I have checked all settings on both Outlooks and they appear to be Ok. I had an earlier problem before this one where I could not send emails this seemed to cured when doing a restart of Outlook solved the problem.
    Any one any ideas as it has baffled my friend who runs his own computer shop, unless he was trying to avoid it!! Virgin media are my broadband supplier.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why do you get the same messages on both outlook.com and your ISP's mail service? Is it because one is forwarded to the other or one fetches mail from the other?

Do you have Outlook set to get mail from outlook.com, your ISP's service, or both?

3. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

When I changed from hotmail to Outlook,com the settings were the same as hotmail where it was setup to get a copy of any emails sent to me.
    I assume it is forwarded.
    It was working OK for the last couple of months when I updated to Outlook .com
    I would have thought that Outlook.com got emails straight from my ISP but this does not appear to be the case.

I must admit to being totally confused with this problem
    As I mentioned earlier about not being able to send emails, it has started happening again.
    This also happened a few months ago when I was using my desktop. before I bought this other machine. It just seemed to go away. At one time it would not send either. Virgin medias support staff were not much help as all they would say was change your settings from the old NTL to the Virgin medias ones. This did not work.!!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let me rephrase my questions ...

1. Do you have outlook.com configured to fetch your ISP account's mail?

2. Do you have Outlook configured to fetch your ISP account's mail?

3. Do you have Outlook configured to fetch your outlook.com mail?

5. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

When I signed up to Outlook.com it asked where I wanted to send and receive mail from as well as Outlook .com and I put in my normal ISP email account. So it looks like I and 2. I don't get 2 copies on my outlook.com account.
    Thanks for your help and apologies for seeming a bit dim!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    But not (3)? I don't know what could be causing the duplicate messages then. :(

7. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Terry
    Yes 3 as well.
    I have had another serious look and have found that my computer friend?? had altered the settings re.leave emails on server. Take that off and I just get single emails. Still have the problem that I cannot send emails. Could be Virgin media but they will deny it!! Sorry to have messed you about but if you have any idea what this problem could be I would be grateful.

Cheers

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Re sending mail exactly what are the symptoms and error message(s)?

Are you using Virgin Media's outgoing (SMTP) mail server? If so, matching the information here?

9. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Symtoms are it just will not send! Sending a test email errors come back. Server responded-421aamtout02-winn.ispma.

Also connection refused- 74-115-1.92. I have also had - Server responded - 421aamtout02-winn.ispma
    Connection (199.255.209.163 this was when it tried to send a standard email. I assume these are IP address.
    This is well over my head! Hope it may make sense to you.

Regards

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most of that means nothing to me. The only IP address there is for an anonymous proxy, which has been used to send spam.

11. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Thanks Terry
    I can only tell you what comes up on my screen. I would have thought with the amount of protection I have that a spam IP would not get through but these days you never know.
    I think my next step must be to save a pst file and remove outlook and then reinstate it.
    Many thanks for your trouble,

Best wishes
    By the way where do you get the info from re the spam IP address?

12. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Update.
    Tried sending a test email it worked.Then tried to send the 3 emails already in the outbox. Nothing!!
    Tried sending a new email that worked!! You must be as confused as I am by now!!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Web search, and one of the hits is Stop Forum Spam.

Re your post # 12: that's probably an Outlook issue. I suggest that you'll have better luck if you start a new thread for that titled something like "mail stuck in Outlook's outbox" and for this thread ...

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

You're welcome. :)

14. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Terry net. Sorry have not got back to you for a long time, been to busy. Anyway the double emails appeared to sort themselves out.
    The the non sending of emails has been sorted out by Virgin media. Having already spoken to a level 2 person and getting nowhere. I phoned them again and spoke to a level 1 guy who with the help of a level 2 guy sorted the problem out. While my Outlook works Ok with my original settings in XP. The same is not true for Win 7. I went remote and they completely renewed 90% of my original settings. So at present everything is working Ok email wise. Thanks very much for your help. The only problem have now is why my broadband speed is about 2mbps download on my Win7 machine and 19mbps on my Win 8 machine. Never a dull day with my computers!

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At least that's opposite to what most people are complaining about lately. :) If you want some help with that I suggest you start a new thread in the Networking forum, and include info about download speed with both PCs using ethernet and, if appropriate, using Wi-Fi.

Glad all that confusing email stuff now seems to be gone. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice