1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: email - dumb question I'm sure

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ms_khw, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

A little embarrassed to ask this question, but if I don't ask I won't know. I'm going to be changing web hosts, but my email address will be remaining the same although using this new hosts email system. Will my old saved mail show up in my new mailbox? :eek: Or will I have to go through the steps of storing all of it before the change over.

2. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Tough question, depends on what you have already set up is my guess.

When you change your webhost, the folks whom hold the registration for your domain name will have to change the Name Servers to point the internet world to the new webhost servers. The email pointers should follow. "which i think are the mx records-or something like that"

I would download your e-mail that you want to keep. I would have to think that there will become a different "webmail" access, one for each webhost, at least until your original webhost kicks out your account.

Are you also changing the registrar for your domain name????

For example, for me and as nutty as it sounds, "and it is nutty" but, when I took over my website, It was a chore to get the domain name registered in my name, but I finally got it and now I technally own the website. This is the crazy part, the site domain is registered through A-Plus, the Webhost is with USA Hosting-"along with my e-mail server (that I download in OE)", My ISP is with Firewire Internet with a back-up dial-up ISP with CoreComm....

Hope that wasn't an overkill for an explanation

3. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

Oh what a tangled web we (or someone) weave... Yes backup was my thought. I will be transferring the domain as well, but in time. I say in time because woe as me my domain wasn't registered in my name (a friend helped). But, while assisting another troubled souls domain issue I've had the misfortune and some experience with retrieval. And I know all too well that it is not an easy task. Luckily I need only change the host and the registrar (when of course the domain is in my name). Thank you for all of your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice