Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Email programs

Solved 
4K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  micromos 
#1 ·
I'm running Windows 7 and am using 2003 Microsoft Office which is fine for my use. However, as you know Microsoft has pulled support for 2003 and along with it went my Microsoft Outlook email program. Since the rest of 2003 Microsoft Office works fine I don't want to pay money just for ability to use the 2013 Office Outlook email. I am looking for some suggestions as to what FREE email program closely mirrors the 2003 Microsoft Outlook. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Microsoft isn't supporting Office 2003 or any of it's programs with updates or technical support. That doesn't mean Outlook has disappeared or can't be used anymore, Outlook doesn't use the internet for anything except for the email services you configure it for. It's absolutely still usable and I still, sadly, have lots of clients using it. If you are having trouble with Outlook please describe what issues you are having with it.

#5 ·
thunderbird would be the best but I really do not see a need to stop using outlook 2003 unless you are planning to upgrade to win10.

food for thought - I quit using email clients years ago and just leave my emails online. I have all my email accounts forwarded to one and read it there. This way I do not have to worry about harddrive crashes, transferring to new computers, software compatibility issues and more. I can also read my email no matter what computer or device I am on and this way I always have a backup copy in the original account I am forwarding or pop2 from.

#6 ·
When I click on Microsoft Office Outlook I receive a pop up box stating "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists."
I have inquired about this problem on another computer help forum but cannot get any real help. I took my computer to Best Buy's Geek Squad with my 2003 Office disc and was told there was nothing they could do because there was nothing "in my computer for it to work with" (these are my words interpreted) They were the ones that told me "that Microsoft has shut down their server (Sept. or April 2014) or and isn't supporting 2003 Office any longer." I think they said my driver wasn't there, if I remember right.

#7 ·
Outlook 2003 is compatible with Win 7 so I'm not sure why you are having a problem.
One thing you could check is to make sure it isn't running in "Compatibility Mode" by right clicking the Outlook icon in the C:\Program Files>Office version and clicking Properties>Compatibility tab. Run in compatibility mode should be unchecked.

If that is OK and you have your Office disc, I would run a repair of it and/or install the SP3 Office update.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8

I have no idea what they were talking about concerning the "Microsoft server". Outlook is just an email client and is perfectly capable of pulling mail from whatever mail server you use the same as any mail client, including newer versions of Outlook.
Do you use your ISP's mail server or something else?

#9 ·
Throoper and Triple6: I checked the compatibility mode and it IS checked. Should I un check it? The email is set up as a POP. I'm not sure how to "run a repair and/or install SP3 Office update. What is SP3? As you can see I am computer challenged. To do anything you suggest I need specific kindergarten instructions. But I appreciate all the help.

#12 ·
Here are the correct email settings for Wowway.com: http://www.wowway.com/help-support/internet/faqs/north

Can you make sure your PST file is still located where Outlook expects it to be. Go to the Control panel, open Mail and then click on Data files. Select the file and click Open File Location to open the folder containing the PST in Windows Explorer. If the file is not there then that's the problem.

If it is there then run the SCANPST to see if there is corruption in the file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227
For Office 2003 the location of SCANPST.EXE will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office11
Steps 1 and 2 are what you want to try in the above article.

If all that fails then we can do a variation of Step 3, but try the above first.

#23 ·
You were in the right place when you did the screenshot, you just need to dig a little deeper into the subfolders.
In the Common Files folder (that you posted the screenshot of), open the System folder.
Inside the System folder you should have a folder named MSMAPI and you open that.
Inside MSMAPI, there will be a folder named with your locale ID and inside THAT should be the scanpst.exe.

#24 ·
You need to go down more folders as the link showed:

Outlook 2003
32-bit Windows C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
64-bit Windows C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
Outlook 2002/XP
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\scanpst.exe
But for sure we can continue another day.

FYI, I'm Canadian so July 4th is just another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.