1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Emailing a mobile (cell) phone. UK-UK.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tjuk, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

As the title says, can I do it? I'm in the UK.
    I found an old thread that directs to various sites,
    but the reviews weren't too good IMO.

I'm guessing the phone pays the standard rate for the amount of text?

TIA. Tony.

2. bobthehippy

bobthehippy

It depends on your mobile package. On mobile packages you have 3 things:
    Minutes, Texts and Data allowance

If using email, then that's part of your data allowance. You don't need to worry about the person receiving the email, that's their lookout - they may be receiving the email on their mobile or they may be receiving the email on their computer.

3. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

I probably didn't word my question very well...

I'm on a PC, and want to send text only to a mobile number, which would be an email, from my end at least.

Can I do that?

Thanks again, and sorry if it wasn't clear the first time, English is only my first language! :eek:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want to send a text (SMS) message to a cell phone by using email on your PC. Did I understand this correctly?

And you want to know how to do that and what kind of charge the recipient will incur? If so, ...

I used to be able to send SMS messages via email but the free service went out of business. Search for "email to text" and you may find something.

The recipient's charge will depend on his service package. For example, I've been checking into AT&T's mobile service for smart phones and they have essentially two SMS plans--either $20/month for unlimited messages or 20 cents per text message sent or received. For another example, I currently have Tracfone (pre-paid), and the charge for each text message received is 1/3 of a unit (minute).

5. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

Yes that's ^^ pretty much it.
    I did the search and I might be in luck. I'll have to find out what provider my mate is on and give it a try.

Thanks for your help. (y)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Essentially that's all it is. :) usually the full phone number @ provider

for example [email protected]

It's been 13 years since I had a mobile in the UK so I'm sure it's a little different :) Just make sure the email is short as some phones may not be able to handle up to a certain amount of text.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice