1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Emails selectively disappearing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by StoryAngel, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoryAngel

StoryAngel Thread Starter

I am truly stumped with this one. I'm using a new laptop running Outlook 2007 on Vista. Norton is also running (it was bundled with the new machine). For email I use a mail.com account which auto-forwards to my POP3 (which I check in Outlook). All my emails are getting through to mail.com (if I check the website) but there are 2 addresses which are not reaching me at my POP3... my parents! :-O I have their email addresses in my Safe Senders list AND my contact list, but emails they send me just aren't reaching Outlook, they're stopping at mail.com. My parents are both with toucansurf.com.

Is there some setting either in Outlook or Norton (or something else) that I'm missing somewhere? I can't imagine that it's just my new computer having something against my parents :-S

2. Joggie721

Joggie721

Story it sounds like one of a few things. First Can you tell me exactly which version of Norton you are using, second have you tried loging into your mail.com account and sending emails to and from your parents. Often times there are auto whitelists that need to get populated, if your mail.com provider cleaned them you might just need to respond from your mail.com account to them. Please try that and in the mean time once I know which version of Norton you are running I will guide you through to see what settings might be blocking the email. Please also let me know how long this has been going on.. ie hours .. days.. weeks?

3. StoryAngel

Norton Internet Security v10.1.0.26, 3 month trial version. The problem emailing my parents has only been since I started using Outlook on my new laptop, which was a week ago. Emailing my parents from mail.com (sending/receiving) isn't a problem. The problems seems to be between Toucansurf and my POP3 account. I can (in theory) just pick up my parents' messages in mail.com directly, but that's a bit annoying and doesn't explain where the messages are ending up after a copy has been left in mail.com. The message is supposed to be forwarded to my POP3 account as with all my other emails. I didn't have any trouble at all doing this on my old XP machine (sadly dead, R.I.P.!). ALL other emails are reaching me. It is ONLY the Toucansurf ones which are not. I'm not having problems to send/receive emails from anyone else.

4. Joggie721

Joggie721

Ok so we can then rule out mail.com but we cant rule out Norton, the "manual" they put on the website is not very help full if you havent already saw this. But what I did see ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/norton_internet_security/2007/manuals/nisr1ug.pdf In the guide on page 17 is that your email protection status is located under Connecting to the Internet.

First thought, to test this please try turning off Junk Email filtering in Outlook 2007 and test. Please folow this article to do so. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012300311033.aspx?pid=CH100777011033 Then lets turn off filtering in norton.

Please locate the Norton settings either from the Help on the product, or I think from page 17 from the pdf above.

Once this is done you will be "open" for everything. Make sure your parents are both contacts in your contacts of outlook and mail.com (which the probably are)
    Then try testing, If it works then great! we need to find out what the right setting is it give you the max protection and still allow the emails to come in. So first turn Outlook Junk Email Filtering back on but to the lowest setting. Test again. if it works then increase to medium (and optimal setting to leave it at) if it works then greate. If not leave it at low. Once we know that Outlook can recieve it at either low or medium lets turn the features of Norton back on and do the same, set to low level and test and continue until you get to a medium setting. Or untill you have both enabled and you can recieve the emails.

If after this it does not work. Another poster might be able to solve this issue but I can also install the trial of norton on a pc and test this out but might take a bit to do so.

** also if you have some way of having some one other than your parents email addresses from Toucansurf to send you an email to make sure it is all Toucansurf emails and not just your parents.

5. StoryAngel

OK, Outlook Junk filter is off. I've asked my parents to mail me again (slight logistical issue, we're all in Europe but in different countries!) so will keep you posted when that happens.

** Asked Dad to email me from HIS mail.com account (to mine) and that also didn't get through... it got as far as mail.com but not my POP3. I've been comparing my mail.com and Outlook inboxes to discover which messages aren't making it all the way - that's how I figured out it seemed to be just Toucansurf... until the test Dad and I did with mail.com blew that theory out of the water...

My head hurts trying to figure this out ...:(

6. StoryAngel

Turning off Outlook filter didn't work :( I've switched off the Norton incoming mail filter and asked for another Toucansurf-originating email... will keep you posted...

7. StoryAngel

Turning off Norton's incoming mail filter didn't work either. Any other suggestions? All gratefully accepted! Thanks.

8. StoryAngel

Ok, problem solved. For some reason some junk mail settings had been reverted in Tiscali which I finally found in the webmail settings. It took some finding but it's done. Normal email service resumes now! :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice