1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Emails still disappearing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by barjo4, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

For over a week there has been a problem with our Comcast emails simply erasing themselves when I open mail to read it. Not every time but at least everyday. We are reading Comcast email on Windows Live. This also happens when we read the mail on the Xfinity web site mail. I got nowhere with Comcast support, other than to hear that the problem belongs to Microsoft Windows 7. I have checked the settings and they appear to be correct. I would really appreciate any help. Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3767 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1755 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 702700 MB, Free - 527939 MB; D: Total - 12600 MB, Free - 1541 MB; M: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 866322 MB; N: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 569627 MB; O: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 879196 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, 2A9C
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. joe957

joe957

Comcast must be feeding you a line. Windows 7 here and never had an email disappear.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The next time you contact Comcast don't even mention the email client. Just talk about the problem occurring when using their web mail access (if I understood you correctly).

With Windows Live Mail the issue could be an incorrect setting or program bug.

4. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

I have spoken with Comcast and chatted with them and I got nowhere. I have checked the settings and they are what are recommended. The Comcast mail account preference is for emails to never be deleted. I believe this began with a Windows update but I don't nearly have the computer skills to prove that. We used to have POP settings on our computers and the Windows phones are IMAP

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

What do you use currently on the computers, POP or IMAP?
    If POP, once the message is downloaded to your computer, the server no longer has control of what happens to it, but the server can delete the copy left on it.
    If IMAP, it is possible that WLM is sending a delete command after you read the message (hence a problem with WLM or Windows), but since you also have the same issue on the webmail via a browser, it's nearly impossible for your mail client to be affecting it and it would be a setting at the Comcast mail server causing it.

6. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

What I just noticed happen on the desktop is that the new messages - in bold type (unread) instantly went into the unread folder. I was looking for a way to correct this. Could you guide me to that?

7. barjo4

barjo4 Thread Starter

Just to recap, I changed the mail accounts back to POP and the problem went away. Perhaps not the best "fix," but it is working now without that issue.
    Thanks, John

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice