Solved: Empty recycle bin link not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dat

Hi . I use Win 98se. The link for Emptying recycle bin doesn't work. Is it a warning sign of something else not working?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I just did a quick google, and I have to run, these instructions refer to Windows ME, but on 98, just boot to a command prompt by tapping F8 on restart, then carrry on from there:

The recycle bin may be corrupt. In order for Windows to recreate it, you'll need
to boot into MS DOS with a ME startup disk (boot disk) and delete it. A new one will
be created, when you reboot.

If you don't have a disk on hand, you can create one. Get a blank floppy diskette.
Then go into Add/Remove programs. Click the startup disk tab, stick the floppy in
the drive then choose Create disk.

Then boot (restart) your PC with the startup disk in the floppy drive. At the A:\>
remove the disk from the drive then hit Enter.

At the C:\> type: Deltree C:\Recycled {Press enter key}

Note: Deltree is a powerful command so be careful. Anything you type after the word
Deltree, will be permanently deleted.

After confirming that the command is typed correctly respond with Y

Then type: win then hit Enter to return to Windows. Windows will recreate
the Recycle Bin, when you reboot.

Thanks Acacandy-not my problem but I just learned something new,always have
wondered about that Deltree commd & can now see potential of it.Handy for deleting
files too? perhaps a better method than Force Delete.Could even remove Nortons! the
possibilities are endless,but thanks for the caveat too!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The deltree command can be dangerous :D Proceed with caution :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
By itself? Or after following the posted instructions?

Dat

:) by itself...
I always procrastinate when I have to do the Dos mode. Maybe I am afraid of that black screen.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Voodoo...ok, that works for me, I marked the thread solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online