Solved: Enabling DMA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackedup

I just purchased a new HP Media Centre computer running XP Media Centre and when I go to burn a DVD using Nero it tells me DMA is not enabled. I have looked every where trying to find where you can enable DMA but have been unable to find it.

Can someone please tell me where you go to enable DMA?

Thank you

bonk

Banned
Go to Device Manager by pressing
Windows logo key + Pause Break key
and in the new window Hardware tab and Device Manager button.

In the list open the small + sign beside IDE controllers double click on the Secondary IDE
and then in the new window click on the Advanced Settings
and check that the Transfer Mode is DMA if available and Not PIO and that the current mode is DMA.
Aslo Check the Primary IDE

jackedup

bonk said:
Go to Device Manager by pressing
Windows logo key + Pause Break key
and in the new window Hardware tab and Device Manager button.

In the list open the small + sign beside IDE controllers double click on the Secondary IDE
and then in the new window click on the Advanced Settings
and check that the Transfer Mode is DMA if available and Not PIO and that the current mode is DMA.
Aslo Check the Primary IDE
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have IDE controllers, only RAID

crjdriver

How are your optical drives connected to the mb? Raid does not apply to optical ie CD, DVD type drives.

jackedup

crjdriver said:
How are your optical drives connected to the mb? Raid does not apply to optical ie CD, DVD type drives.
It has the same SATA cable as what the hard drive has.

crjdriver

You have a sata optical drive NOT raid. While you may have raid enabled for your hd, it has no relevance with optical drives.
I am going to guess that you are using nero 6 is that correct?

jackedup

crjdriver said:
You have a sata optical drive NOT raid. While you may have raid enabled for your hd, it has no relevance with optical drives.
I am actually buring a DVD right now so can't tell you the version, but it may well be version 6.

Sorry, I wasn't implying I had a RAID optical drive, only that I did not have IDE as a choice for controllers, only RAID.

Thank you

jackedup

crjdriver said:
I just checked and yes I am using Nero 6.

crjdriver

This is just a guess, however I doubt that nero recognizes the sata interface correctly. Are you using the latest ver of nero6? I believe it is 6.6.1.4

jackedup

No, I am using 6.3.1.12.

You may very well be right about it not recognizing the SATA.

Any other suggestions about things to check?
Thanks

crjdriver

Download the latest version and install it. You can download this from nero's site.

jackedup

crjdriver said:
Download the latest version and install it. You can download this from nero's site.
That seems to have solved the problem, thanks very much.

jackedup

One other question if you don't mind. When they advertise these dual core processors they say you can burn a DVD and continue using your computer for other tasks. Is this correct and is there something that needs to be set to dedicate a given amount of processing power to the burning process?

Thanks again.

crjdriver

Glad you got it to work. I will mark this as solved for you. Note for future reference you can mark your own thread as solved using thread tools at the top of the page.

Yes, you can burn a dvd, edit video, etc and keep right on working. While it is possible to set affinity in task manager, it is not really needed. The os will assign priority and it does this very well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online