1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Enabling Print Spooler in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JR1541, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JR1541

JR1541 Thread Starter

My HDD has gotten to the point where I'm only able to run in Safe Mode, which oddly shows no signs of any issues. I need to print some emails but when I go to Add a Printer I get a message that the local print spooler is not running and I have no idea how to start it in Vista. Thanks for any help.

2. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Just minimal drivers are loaded when in Safe mode as the reason for being here is to try and find out why your not able to load normally. So, with that said, this is the reason you are unable to use your printer.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I agree with captainron276, you need to work on the underlying problem with Normal Mode before using Safe Mode. However, if you don't have time to find a fix, the following command can start the Print Spooler service in Safe Mode (with Networking):

First, boot in Safe Mode with Networking.

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt:

Code:

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Spooler /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D Service

Press Enter.

Next, copy and paste the following command as well:

Net Start Spooler

Press Enter.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Has this been resolved?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056317