1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Enabling video card in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ACA529, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have purchased a new video card and I think I know what to do when it arrives... just not sure about the steps.

Ok, so I'm currently using onboard video. I was told that all I need to do is stick it in the PCI-E x16 slot and plug the power cable into the video card -- then enable it in BIOS.

How exactly do I enable it in BIOS? And do I need to disable the onboard video somehow?

Step by step instructions would be very helpful. :D

I am using an Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard.

2. zyper95

zyper95

You dont have to enable the video card on your BIOS once you plug i n the new video card your system will automatically detect the new video card after reboot...although before you reboot go to your BIOS to disable the onboard video card so that upon reboot the new video card will be the default graphics card of your system.

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Okay, excuse my stupidity... but can you tell me how I go about disabling my onboard video in BIOS? :)

4. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

So I think I have the steps now:

1.) Turn off computer.
    2.) Plug in video card.
    3.) Go into BIOS and disable onboard video.
    4.) Save and exit BIOS and plug monitor into VGA output on video card.

Can someone please confirm these steps? I don't want to screw anything up... :)

5. dts73

dts73

Hiya ACA529,

Right it's dead easy really. Obviously with everything turned off install the graphics card in the desired PCI-e 16 slot. Depending on your MB that could be in any number of 4 slots, at most, refer to the manual. Then boot up. You will then be greeted with your OS as is. Once up and running install the drivers that came with the Graphics Card. You will probably need to reboot. Do so. On reboot Your GPU should be the default graphics device for said PC.

Now for BIOS settings once everything is right and dandy.

On boot keep pressing F8. You should then be greeted with a GUI that allows you to tweak, default and manage your PC, ala BIOS.

WORD OF WARNING THOUGH. Write down the default settings. Just in case anything goes wrong. DON'T GO CHANGING THINGS YOU AREN'T SURE OF, I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH..There, just as long as you know that screwin around with BIOS settings can effectivley kill a PC.

In BIOS settings under PCI-E you may need to change it from x8 to x16 or something similar. BUT DON'T MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE. Okay

6. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for your post.

Now, here's what I think I have to do:

1.) Turn off computer.
    2.) Install PCI-E card.
    3.) Turn on computer and install GPU drivers. (with my monitor using onboard video or new video card ?)
    4.) Restart computer and that's it? Do I need to change anything specifically in BIOS (seeing as it's already my default GPU).

7. zyper95

zyper95

Yup..the steps are correct. Just dont do anything else after doing the above steps. :D

8. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for everyone who posted in this thread.... much appreciated. :D

9. dts73

dts73

No. Not really. Some Motherboards need to be told that PCI-E16 is being used. But if your MB is fairly new then you shouldn't have to do anything other than install the graphics card.

Also check the website for recent driver updates for the GPU. ATI release driver updates every couple of months, as for nvidia it's probably the same. Hope that helps..

10. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Yes, your help is greatly appreciated .:D

I am currently using onboard nVidia video, and this new card is nVidia and I looked up the drivers on their website and their both exactly the same. The version is both 94.24 . Same file size. So I'm wondering now if all I need to do is just shutdown, plug it in, and away we go? Or will I have to change some settings in BIOS? I guess I'll find out when the time comes. :D

My current GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 6150 . Same video drivers on the nVidia website for the Geforce 7 series. :)

11. dts73

dts73

Absolutely.. Shutdown, Install, Reboot. The confusion lies with the chip-sets.
    They are almost identical. In fact they are identical. It's just that they are used in very different enviroments.

To use an analogy of sorts. An Audi A6 (basic) will cost you £28,000. A Skoda Oktavia will cost you £18,000, A Mitsubishi EVO 8/9/10 (whatever) will cost you £30,000 and above.
    They all use the same chassis. But they are very different vehicles.

Motherboards and said components and devices use the same kind of "Platform Sharing".

Updates and the like may appear to be similar. When in actual fact they are totally different

12. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Okay, so what you're saying is that I need to download the other drivers for the Geforce 7 series and install those even though their nearly exactly the same as the Geforce 6 series... correct? :D

13. dts73

dts73

Just install the drivers that are needed for the graphics card you have.

14. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!