1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Enchance Modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lastrachris, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

I am trying to reach my internet signal to seperate building on my property and I want to know if a stronger modem would help at all. There is a weak signal over there, just enough to get on Facebook to say. In some places though it doesn't reach it at all. Please also leave the price for the new modem.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The modem doesn't affect the wireless signal unless you have a modem and wireless router all in one. JohnWill has some recommendations for extending wireless networking coverage, but it would help if you could provide the make and model for all the networking hardware in this setup.

3. lastrachris

Linksys WRT120N

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a router, not a modem.

5. sickcars

sickcars

How far apart are the buildings? & what type of buildings? like from your house to your garage or something? Where exactly is your router located now? Maybe draw a picture of your floor plan.

Anyways I would suggest you move your router to the window and point it at the other building this may help a bit.
    As for another router, only one i could think of that may help would be a WRT54GL with custom firmware this way you can increase the signal strength of the router.

6. lastrachris

Hey, I realised I had a really suckish reviver. Thanks anyways.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!