1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Encryption

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dingus, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I have a strange problem with one PC on a small network.

All but one PC is XP, the other being Vista.

One XP machine will not work when encryption is used. It connects to the internet ok when there is no encryption but once I enable encryption it won't connect to the internet.
    Now here's the strange bit, it does connect to the network ok but not the internet. If I try to access another PC or a network printer all is fine. Just not the internet. Pings to internal work ok, pings external fail.

Any ideas folks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That makes no sense at all. If it's connected to the local network, then encryption has ceased to be an issue, since the network connection doesn't have any idea where the traffic is going.

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

As I said John. A strange one !!!!!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ping by external IP addresses fail (not just by name)?

Once in a great while we run across a specific wireless adapter and router that refuse to play nice together for no discernible reason . I suppose a pair could refuse to play right only with encryption, just to further confuse us. :(

You've checked the ipconfig for an encrypted connection, and the proper Default Gateway is there?

5. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hello again Terry.
    I pinged yahoo and the BBC but not by IP only by name.
    I can ping everything until encryption is used. Once it's enabled.......... Internal only.
    It's a Linksys WAG160N. I reset it to factory default the made the user changes, then upgraded the firmware, but same problem.
    Bet this one wets your apatite.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Better to whet my appetite than wet my pants! :)

You could try ping 98.137.149.56 or ping 74.125.95.99. Those are yahoo.com and google.com, respectively, and will show whether there is internet access. If that works maybe try on the computer a public DNS server.

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

It doesn't help me any, but for the sake of others.
    I replaced the router and configured it exactly as my problem one. WOO HOO (As Bart would say) all works as it said in the box.
    I would have thought a Linksys router would last more than 3 years.
    Anyone know which is the best these days. No games, just 7 PCs on ALL the time.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Something very strange happened to that router! :D

Sure glad you found it, because I had no idea what could be doing that. I still don't understand the failure mechanism.

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!