1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: End Program Shellcon Hidden Window

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Peppi, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

The thread about this problem has been closed (expired and solved) but I read it, and followed the instructions given to get rid of that message,(End Program Shellcon Hidden Window) which comes up every time I need to shut down my computer.

But after I restarted my computer I got the following message:

System Configuration Utility Window

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the Windows ..
    The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup Mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run everytime Windows starts.
    Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General Tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

I clicked on OK, because what happens if I don't?
    Can somebody help me with this?
    Thank you!
    Peppi

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer Elvandil !
    I don't know much about computers, but I understood what you said about disabling the warning, which is something I don't want to do.
    It looks like the startup manager is a program I have to download from one of the addresses you gave me. Am I right?
    I read that this problem is caused by the Musicmatch Jukebox.
    Maybe if I uninstall that program I'll be rid of the problem. Don't you think so?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you don't want MusicMatch any more.

5. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

I downloaded quite a lot of songs from Limewire, and the icon in front of the songs ( in the Shared folder) is the one from Musicmatch.
    So I figured I need to keep Musicmatch.
    Therefore,I'm going to download one of the Startup Control programs, but I don't know which one is the easiest for me to understand and work with.
    I don't know anything about "registry" and such.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It really depends what file type the files are. MusicMatch may have taken them over, but if they are mp3, avi, or any other standard file type, any player, including many less intrusive free ones, can play those files.

7. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

Thank you Elvandil!
    All the songs are in mp3. I'm afraid that , if I remove the Music Match program, I am going to lose all the songs I have in Shared.

I checked the addresses for the Startup Program, but I'm not sure I'm qualified to use it. But I guess I can always try the first one, and see what happens.

Thanks for helping me.
    Peppi

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you run Windows Media Player, go to its Options or Preferences menu, and look under formats, you can see where to make it the default player for mp3's. Make the change there. The icons for your mp3's will change to the WMP icon if you succeed.

Uninstalling MusicMatch will not remove any mp3 files. but if they are important to you, you should have them backed up, anyway. Hard drives fail all the time, and all those and other data that is not backed up would be lost.

9. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

Hi again Elvandil!
    I followed your instructions.
    The first time, 3 songs still had the Musicmatch icon, but I tried again, and now ALL have the same icon.
    Now I'm going to remove the Musicmatch Juke box and see what happens.

10. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

Well, everything went fine. I removed the Musicmatch program. All the songs are still in Shared, and when I restarted my computer, I didn't see the message End Program Shellcon Hidden Window.
    This is great. I think that my problem is solved, but I will confirm tomorrow, after I shut down the computer tonight . I want to be sure the message is really gone.
    Thank you so much for your help and patience.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. Having more than one player is sometimes necessary with all the file types out there, but they often compete with one another, and having a minimum number is the best idea.

Good luck.

12. Peppi

Peppi Thread Starter

Thank you for your last suggestion !
    Bye,
    Peppi

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!