1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: end program sprtcmd.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by new mexico girl, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new mexico girl

new mexico girl Thread Starter

Hi! I followed the suggestion of stopping the process then deleting the newer version of Dell support and that solved the problem, but before I did that, I went into MS Config and unclicked the sprtcmd.exe file, now every time I start my computer I get the message that I made some changes to the start-up menu and the system configuration utility comes up. How do I get that utility not to show up? Thanks for the help.

2. stantley

stantley

The next time the message comes up put a check in the box "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts".

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When you use msconfig to remove a startup item, the registry key the program (sprtcmd.exe in this case) uses to start is copied to a bcakup location. Problem is, when you uninstall the program, the uninstaller can't remove this key because it no longer exists.

You can do as stantley suggests and tell msconfig not to prompt you with the warning, but there is a slight chance that malware could install itself and disable one of the needed windows processes and replace it with its own, and msconfig will not notify you of the change. Smart malware would make sure msconfig didn't notice anyways so this is not much of a risk, but I just prefer to leave msconfig running in Normal mode rather than Selective Startup. If you leave it in Selective startup, you have to note everything you've disabled if you use the tool to troubleshoot later on, rather than being able to just click Normal startup when you are finished troubleshooting.

Best way to fix this is to start msconfig, then either select Normal startup, which will recheck anything unchecked, or directly recheck the sprtcmd.exe command. Note the location of the key so we know where to go to delete it.
    It should be either:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Reboot the system. You'll likely get an error that sprtcmd.exe can't be found, just OK the message.
    Once booted, click Start | Run and type regedit then press enter
    Navigate to the key you noted above, find the sprtcmd.exe entry on the right side, highlight it and press delete.
    Close regedit and you're all done.

HTH

Jerry

4. new mexico girl

Thanks so much for all your help. I will follow your instructions. By the way, I checked normal startup yesterday and I didn't get the system config utility this morning. Hopefully, since I didn't get the sprtcmd.exe error last nite when shutting down all will be OK. I so appreciate your guidance. Thanks again!!:)

5. pintopin

pintopin

DON'T DELETE SPRTCMD.EXE --- FIX THE PROBLEM

The problem is your missing the Microsoft application Framework version 2.0 Visit the link below, download the application and install it on your computer. The reason "end program _____" shows up in the first place is that there is usually a program running in the background that can't shut down becasue of a missing application and therefore lets the user shut it down manually, I had the same problem and after installing the application the problem was fixed. Just to note, after installing it you must restart your computer for the application to take affect.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

6. new mexico girl

Thanks so much for this added information. I followed someone's instructions to fix this problem which I found out was the upgrade to Dell's help program. Once I deleted that, all was well and since my computer is out of warranty, the Dell help center doesn't help me much anyway. But my husbands computer just got offered the upgrade and if his gets the same message I will try your suggestion. Again, thanks so much for this information. This is truly a terrific help website. :)

7. dcavanaugh50

dcavanaugh50

I just down loaded Framework version 2.0 and restarted my computer hoping to get ride of the sprtcmd.exe error. It didn't seem to work. My orig question was going to be how do I un-install Dell Support Center as I have heard from your postings that was causing the error.

8. new mexico girl

Hi! Sorry to hear that you're getting the same error. The way I got rid of it was to do an Alt+Control+Delete to get the Task Manager up. Then under processes I found the sprtcmd.exe and deleted or ended it. Then I closed out of that and went into Control Panel and went into Add or Remove Programs and removed the Dell Help Software. I had the original Dell Help and then the new one - 2.0 version that caused the problem. I didn't need it. It solved my problem perfectly - no more sprtcmd.exe problems! Hope this helps.

9. dcavanaugh50

dcavanaugh50

Thank you new mexico girl!!! That seems to have done the trick. I have had this problem for some time and am glad that I Tech Support Guy.

10. new mexico girl

I, too, am amazed at how great this website is. I've had a few conversations with some very very helpful people over these past few weeks. Made this site a favorite of mine! Glad that it worked. All the best.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!