1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Enter Network Password prompt

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tanglefoot1, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tanglefoot1

Tanglefoot1 Thread Starter

I know there's been a few queries by people regarding this prompt, but all the ones I've read seem to be connected with Outlook or operating a laptop via wireless - neither of which I use/do.

The pop-up has just started appearing today and I have no idea why. I don't even know if I should have a username and password for this? No idea what it is.

Can anyone advise please? :)

Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

2. Tanglefoot1

It seems to be connected with Windows Media Player.......?............

3. Megabite

Megabite

Are you using Sharing in WIndows Media Player?

4. Tanglefoot1

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't know what Sharing is in WMP, so inadvertently perhaps?

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There are two checkboxes in Media Player Options, on the Privacy tab, "Display media information from the Internet" and "Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet". I believe these are causing your issue. Or if you want to use these features and have a Hotmail or Windows Live account, username and password are for your Hotmail or Windows Live account.

6. Tanglefoot1

Frank4d - thanks for the reply. I don't know where I access Media Player Options, I don't see any tabs to select like that. See screenshot please.

Attached Files:

7. Tanglefoot1

Ah ok I've accessed the Options from right clicking at the bottom of the screen. I've unchecked the boxes and then rechecked the boxes to see if comes back and so far it hasn't - strange.

8. Megabite

Megabite

What it is, it trys to get the photo cover of music you have in Media player......my guess is you are going through a Router and it is blocking it.

In Media Player

In Tools >>
    Options >> Privacy Tab - I unchecked "update music files by retrieving
    media info from the internet

9. Tanglefoot1

I have it checked again now and it's ok, so I don't know why it caused a problem before :confused: Maybe it was a song track it didn't recognise or something? I don't know?

All is fine now though, I'm listening to music as I type this and the album cover is there etc. At least I know where to look next time.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Good to hear.....:)

11. Tanglefoot1

Thanks for the help :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice