1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Epson all-in-one wants to Fax, not print checks

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by penbell, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. penbell

penbell Thread Starter

The Epson WF3540 we bought for the office two weeks ago prints everything but checks. When we write checks using the old Quicken 2000 software, the Fax transmittal page pops up. I spent half a day, it seemed, on the phone with Epson support. I learned there are two programs in my printer dialog box, one for regular printing and one for sending faxes. The regular program is our default option, yet the checkwriting instruction from Quicken apparently "chooses" the fax program. The Epson tech guy finally decided the problem was not Epson's, but Quicken's (even though we never had this problem with any other printer). After talking with him, I uninstalled the Epson software (which I had installed as a wireless installation) and reinstalled it with a USB cable. There was an immediate improvement in the amount of time it took for the printer to respond to a print instruction. Again, everything printed correctly except for checks. Again the fax message popped up. It is important for us to be able to print checks from the computer. As a last resort, we will switch to a newer Quicken version, but I thought I'd see if I can keep the one we are used to and solve the problem--with your help.

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I doubt that Quicken is picking the program for you. There must be a setting within the Epson software that triggers the FAX instead of the printer. I've used Quicken for many years with many different printers, and I've never had a problem like this! Have you checked for newer printer drivers at the Epson Web site? Even tho it's a new printer, the drivers might not be the latest ones issued. I use a little program called Driver Detective that checks all the drivers in my PC and tells me which ones need to be updated. It then facilitates tht.

3. penbell

penbell Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. The printer is at our office. I will try tomorrow and let you know if that solves the problem. Penbell

4. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Offhand, I'd agree it is not a printer issue. Previous printer settings in Quicken may not be taking to the Epson the way the Epson wants to be talked to, causing it to go immediately to its Fax option. Have you verified the printer settings within Quicken?

To Verify your printer settings

In Quicken, select the File menu and select Printer Setup > For checks, reports or Invoices. If the printer setup window does not open, information to resolve this issue is available on our support site.
    Verify that the correct printer is selected.
    Make any necessary changes and click OK.
    Attempt to print. If you cannot print, proceed to the next step.
    Click the Microsoft® Windows® Start button and select Settings > Printers and Faxes.
    Right-click the printer selected in the Printer Setup dialog and select Properties.
    In the Properties window for your printer, look for a setting to print directly to printer or spool documents. The exact location of this setting varies by printer model and manufacturer.
    Select the option that is not currently selected. For example, if your printer is currently set to "Spool documents," select Print directly to printer.
    Click OK or Save to save your changes.
    Attempt to print.

Depending on what your troubleshooting has done, I would start with going to the printer control panel, and reset the printer to defaults first.
    Good Luck.

5. penbell

penbell Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the good advice. Before I received this second suggestion, I updated the Epson driver, which, as it turns out, I did not need to do since the driver was already up to date. Then I tried printing checks again, which, again, switched on the Epson fax program. So we decided it was time to update the Quicken 2000. I installed my Quicken 2009, praying our office banking files would not be scrambled, and, lo and behold, the transition was seamless AND the checks printed! Nevertheless, I am saving the messages you tech experts sent for future reference in case they are needed. Penbell

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Excellent! Please mark this problem SOLVED at the top. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice