Solved: Epson printer missing DLL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bkpeck

I print a lot of pictures and today when I tried to print some I got an error message stating there was a missing DLL. The printer has always worked fine!
I tried system restore, I inserted the software disc and checked reinstall and neither helped. I contacted Epson and they said it was a Microsoft problem.
I searched for DLLs on google but the letters are so odd on the error message that it is difficult. Anyone have any ideas???

Attachments

sy2

Yeah, that is an extremely odd looking error message... I would try to completely uninstall the printer and all drivers from safe mode and then reinstall everything the way you did when you first got the printer.

bkpeck

stod73 said:
Did you try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling?
Yes I did but it still doesn't work!
ANYBODY else have any ideas?
I'm desperate

Unless you can come up with a list of all "Epson" installed files, neither do I.

However since the error seems to indicate some kind of file damage -- possibly corrupting the program that is looking for the file (since the name is illegible), you might try running chkdsk.

Also have a look in eventvwr.msc under the applications log and see if you can find the error there. You might get a better read on the file name.

There may also be a Dr Watson log available for this. See:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

sy2

Well, my suggestion would be to maybe move all of the Epson DLLs to a separate folder like he did, rather than deleting them. Then try a reinstall. According to AlSan, who made the post, the logic here is to prevent "the bad sector [from being] re-cycled into another file" during the reinstall.

Try this: open Explorer and navigate to the System32 folder.

Select "search" and enter:

*.dll

Once all the dlls are displayed, select View > Details. In "change details" put a check in "company"

Look for dlls associated with Seiko Epson.

bkpeck

There were a lot of them in there...I also have an Epson scanner...so I didn't do anything with them until I asked how I can tell the difference.

I don't have any easy method for that; there are some programs that will tell you what dlls are loaded or required by an application but you have to see an "exe" for the application in the running processes list; I don't think the printer or scanner produces one.

Have you looked at your Dr Watson or Event Viewer logs for clues as to the real identity of the dll or even the actual application generating the error?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online