Solved: Epson Printer Won't Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jemhead

Well I got a new printer for Christmas.
The Epson Stylus Photo R340
From the first day I went to install it. I have had issues.
It shows the drivers installing from the installation CD and the printer seems to work fine.
(I have printed CD/DVDs, and documents with no problems)
The problem is everytime I turn the computer on, or the printer off and then on again.
Windows says "Found new Hardware" and attempts to install the printer again.
I then get an "Installation failed, Access denied error"

I have attempted to uninstall and re-install the printer about 7 times.(re-reading the directions each time) and trying a new USB cable.
I even cleaned the registry with Crap Cleaner to be sure there was no old printer issues.

I then contacted Epson Tech Support, and they said this sounds like a microsoft issue.
Like the computer is'nt recognizing me as the administrator. I am the only user of this computer and have the admin. account.

I am running the following:

Windows XP SP2
2.08 ghz
1 gig RAM
120 gb harddrive w/ 53gb free
4.3 gb harddrive (recovery drive)

All my updates are done and I have had no other issues installing other things..
(2 DVD R/RW drives,Linksys wireless G router and an Epson 2480 scanner )

Hopefully someone has an idea, this is getting annoying.
Thanks!

Explain how the printer is connected, I am assuming USB but it is possible that it is connected to a network via ethernet cable or wireless. Have you checked the Epson support FAQ. It might have it as one of the common problems that requires a patch.

Otherwise, do the instructions say restart after the printer is done installing? It seems like your problem is a common problem to me. Your system specs aren't anything unusual, or your OS :p .

Jemhead

Yes through USB cable, not on a network or shared.( I do have another computer connected to my network for my internet, but that should be it)
I'm not very good with this network thing
I checked the Epson website and only found updated drivers which I installed.
I did a search on forums for my problem, and found someone with an Epson R320 with the same problem, but no one was able to help him.
No I don't get a re-start message..so the install isn't completing I assume?

valis

you can turn the service off, but I don't know what effects that will will have. First of all, see if the 'safely remove hardware' button is in your task bar (down by the clock). It looks like a green arrow pointing to about 7 o'clock. Double click it, go to properties on the bottom, and disable it. If it's not there, check for an arrow to the right of clock to show all the icons. If it's still not there, right click below the start button, choose the taskbar tab, adn then click customize. Find the one we want, and click always show. Then do the above.

Again, I've done that exactly once, and turned it back on pretty quickly, but give it a shot and see if that cures it. You will need to remember to turn it on anytime you add any hardware, tho.

v

Jemhead

I found the remove hardware icon and followed your instructions, but that only removed the icon.
I still get the trying to install and error message when rebooting.

Thanks for trying to help

valis

what does your device driver say? Is there a yellow exclamation point next to your printer? Or is it clean?

rt click my computer > hardware tab > device manager

Jemhead

whoa,,I don't even see a printer listed under Device manager.
(hardrives,dvd drives, mouse etc...) no printer even available to click on.

valis

go to start > control panel > printers and whatever and see what's installed. Doesn't sound like anythying is.

Jemhead

There it is in the Printer list, set as the one and only Printer.

valis

make sure it's set to the default printer, right click it, and under the general tab, click 'print test page'.

Jemhead

Test page prints.
Saying printer is installed correctly.
Then lists drivers name and files

valis

go back to the device manager, and under imaging devices you should find your printer. Right click, uninstall, reboot, and let windows install hte stuff. Once it gets done, print some stuff, then reboot and see what happens.

Jemhead

Kooky,,
In Device Manager
under disk drives is listed:
Epson stylus storage USB device.
Not sure what this is?

valis

did you uninstall hte printer, reboot, print some stuff, then reboot to see if it happens again?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online