1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Epson scan has stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geno2552, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno2552

geno2552 Thread Starter

I know this is an old one, and I've read many fixes that don't really work and don't apply to my setup. I have a one month old Dell 17R laptop with windows 7 and also a one month old Epson NX625 wireless printer. Everything works fine except for the scan function. I just tried to use it for the first time a few days ago and I get the message "Epson scan has stopped working". I have loaded and reloaded the printer/scanner/drivers both as a search and with the supplied disc at least 6 times each way. It just won't work even though everything appears to be loaded with all the latest drivers. Can anyone help me????

Thanks
    Geno

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. geno2552

geno2552 Thread Starter

Thanks for the effort Leroy, but I've been there a couple of times and loaded the drivers. Just for drill I just tried it again and still the same problem! My wife just fired up her MAC from the other room and was able to scan it!!!!!! No loading drivers or anything, just a wireless search, recognized the printer and then loaded it and scanned it!!!!! This is goofy!

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Is it possible the utlity is being blocked by the firewall?

5. geno2552

geno2552 Thread Starter

I have Norton Internet Security on my system and I have tried scanning with it completely off and also with just the Norton firewall turned off to no avail. Is there another firewall I'm not aware of? My tech skills are not all that great so sorry if that's a dumb question.

Geno

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Might check start/control panel/windows firewall.
    It might very well be norton,even with it off.
    Norton can be a pain.

7. geno2552

geno2552 Thread Starter

Thanks again Leroy, but that's not it either. It says windows firewall is turned off then something to mthe effect that with Norton insttalled they take off firewalls. But it definately says windows firewal is off. As an interesting side note, I'm at my office and am able to scan on a Cannon printer that is here. I just but my computer in search and loaded the printer and print and scan both work fine. ????

Geno

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Try going to start/devices and printers.
    Right click the printer and click troubleshoot.
    Go through the troubleshooter and see if it helps solve the problem.
    You can also try running a scan from the right click menu and see
    if it generates any errors.

9. geno2552

geno2552 Thread Starter

Leroy, thanks for all your efforts and concern. My scanner is now fixed! I received the following instructions from Epsom support. While it seems odd to me that this procedure would be necessary on a new install it did work for me. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem they might search and see this fix, it definately fixed mine.
    Thanks again.

1. Turn off the printer.
    2. Uninstall Epson Scan.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Open Windows Explorer (right-click the Start button, then select Explore or Open Windows Explorer).
    5. Navigate to C:\Windows.
    6. Locate the twain_32 folder and rename it to a different name such as twain_32_old.
    7. Restart your computer.
    8. Reinstall Epson Scan.

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Thanks for posting the solution.
    Should be helpful to others in the future.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice