1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Epson workforce 845 scanner icon does not open program.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dmarcoux2012, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dmarcoux2012

Dmarcoux2012 Thread Starter

Ok from the top Saturday my computer overheated due to a clogged heatsink. The computer turned itself off and I cleaned out the fan and bought a new bracket to mount the heat sink. Now my epson 845 all in one does not want to scan. It works perfectly as a printer and also works perfect on my laptop as far as scanning and printing.
    I tried deleting the twain drivers and reinstalling the software but it still says cannot communicate. What piece of hardware could have been affected that will now not let my scanner icon open the program?
    Is it a graphics card issue? Is it a registry issue? Is it a hardware issue? The computer works fine now except for the scanner.
    Any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the program that won't open?

Where and when do you see the "cannot communicate" message?

3. Dmarcoux2012

Also this worked fine until the heatsink episode. There is nothing wrong with the scanner it works great on the laptop. But not on the desktop. It is not a software issue either because the laptop software and desktop software came from the same disk. It not the cable because it prints. The computer sees the scanner it just cannot communicate with it.

4. Dmarcoux2012

The program that won't open us epson scan. It is on a gateway DX4300 windows vista and 9 gb of ram.

5. Dmarcoux2012

When I click on the scanner button on the scanner itself it says communication error.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

How is it connected? Is it a USB interface or parallel?

7. Dmarcoux2012

It is connected with the same USB. Works with the laptop. This is a good one!!!!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do other USB devices work OK, or have you tried any since the heat problem?

9. Dmarcoux2012

Yes it prints fine. The epson scan icon does not open. Could it be a registry error?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Registry error? Possibly, but with a million entries, you'd never find it. And reinstallation should fix that.

Did you remove everything related to the scanner, even the program, and then reboot before trying to reinstall it all?

11. Dmarcoux2012

I'll try it one more time. How about a ram issue? Is it possible a chip is bad and not showing in device manager?

12. Dmarcoux2012

It didn't do this until it overheated. What could the overheat have affected?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice