1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Erase registery keys?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bob Parks, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Hello,
    Firefox stopped working after the latest update and reinstalling latest and previous versions doesn't repair.

Using the control panel I uninstalled again. A utility program says I have some 80 entries in Registry with "Mozilla." FF is my one and only Mozilla product so I'm guessing something in one of the80 is the problem.

The utility, JV16PT, will erase them. Is this safe? I will reinstall FF and let it make new, and hopefully good entries.

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Why do you feel the registry is corrupt? Typically this is a sign of worse problems.

I would not remove the items. However if you backup your registry first before deleting these items you at least have a recovery option if this makes matters worse.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

After I un&reinstalled a program which worked perfectly for years for me and is working normally according to entries on the FF forum doesn't work. When I reinstalled all my Favorites have been saved somewhere so I guess the problem has been "saved somewhere".

On this site and on the Firefox forum I've seen entries from people with the same problem.

When I updated Firefox a few days ago there were a couple of flashing screens during the process. They were too fast to read but were not familiar to me. After the update FF was goofy until it finally stopped loading web pages.

So the program is good. I've downloaded version 7 twice and version 8 twice, incase the exe file was corrupt. It always installs and says "click to run" so my version is good. Beyond a problem in the Registry where else is there. I've done the firewall and antivirus turnoff. IE7 and Opera work so my connection is good.

What am I not thinking of?

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Have you tried running firefox in safemode? Just to clarify, NOT THE OS...firefox.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Yes, Safe mode does not load either.

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

You could try to go into your 'application data' directory in your 'documents and settings' and delete the entire mozilla folder. Then reinstall.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

my computer repair guy came by and spent about half an hour doing something, and now it works. Thank you for your input.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice