1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Erratic cursor movements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bridgebum, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bridgebum

bridgebum Thread Starter

I've been plagued with erratic cursor movements while typing. The cursor jumps to a new place and typing continues there, or it will jump someplace totally outside the area. I had been using a Logitech laser mouse, then tried a brand new Logitech wireless model, and then a new Microsoft standard model - same problem with each one. It's driving me mad! In addition, the cursor will start jumping around on its own, sometimes resulting in a portion of the screen fonts being highlighted. It occurs in all apps. I'm using Win7 Pro. I hope you can help me. Thanks!

Bridgebum

2. WyldStallyyn

WyldStallyyn

Have you tried using a different port?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Brand and model of computer?

Desktop or laptop?

4. bridgebum

bridgebum Thread Starter

I'm using an HP G71-340US Notebook and have tried a different USB port, but still have the same problems. Thanks.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I suspect the touchpad. Disconnect the mouse and see if the problem persists. If so, you have a touchpad problem, not a mouse problem.

6. bridgebum

bridgebum Thread Starter

Alex, you found the problem! Thanks very much. It was a dumb mistake on my part. I never use the touchpad, and always have it disabled. Somehow, it became enabled, and I did not notice it, nor did I think to check it. Now I know, thanks to you.

Also, thanks to all who contributed suggestions!

Bridgebum

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!