1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Erratic cursor, Winows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by miriva, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miriva

miriva Thread Starter

My cursor on Toshiba laptop (Windows 7) is very erratic when I type. It would jump all aver the place - sometimes to the begining of sentence but most of the time anywhere inside already typed text. I am using Logitech wireless mouse, but have the same problem if i use touchpad. How to can I stabilize it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using an external keyboard I don't know. Is it wireless?

If you are using the laptop's keyboard the odds are that your thumb or palm (or both) is causing the problem. You can disable the touchpad when using a mouse. Else check out the settings for making the touchpad less sensitive to various motions and touches.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

And in addition to what my colleague TerryNet has said try this, if his suggestions do not work

Go to the mouse manufacturer for the latest software and driver
    Update that

AND even with the use of the Logitech mouse, update the touch pad drivers from the Toshiba site, then if the option is available, turn the touch pad off... when using the mouse
    and although that should happen automatically when the mouse is connected please do check

Additionally for when you are using the touchpad instead of the logitech
    Double click on the touch pad icon in your system tray

Click on "Pointer Options"
    Then click on "Advanced" tab in left upper corner

Click on Advanced Feature setting

Click on "Settings" in Pointer speed and tapping setting box

Uncheck "Enable Tap" box > Click Apply

for further details see this please
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?soid=2255211

may have to be slightly adapted for your Toshiba but the principle will be the same

4. miriva

miriva Thread Starter

Sorry guys. I am not very good at this and seems that I messed up. I disabled my touch pad and looks like it helped because I did not have that erratc jumping around anumore. But, now I am lost at how to enable touchpad back. I disabled it when I turned mouse on but when I took the check mark off, the touchpad still does not respond. What now?Thank you very much for all the help!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two thoughts ...

Are you sure you then clicked on 'Apply' or 'OK' or whatever if something is needed to make the change take effect?

On some laptops, as Macboatmaster mentioned, the touchpad is disabled when a mouse is connected (and presumably is re-enabled when the mouse is removed). This may not work totally smoothly, so shut the PC down, disconnect the mouse, and boot the system to see if the touchpad now works as intended.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!