1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Erronious Dual boot option

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cpscdave, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpscdave

cpscdave Thread Starter

So the story is,
    Yesterday morning everything was fine. Then I had a problem w/ my vid card, In order to remove any doubt that it wasn't a driver issue, I used the recovery CD.

First attempt something happened and after doing the installer, it couldn't boot properly to continue the installation process. So I re-installed another time.
    This one completed normally and everything is (mostly) fine.

One big thing thats irking me, is when I turn my computer on it asks me what I want to boot into giving me 2 WinXP options. (I havent tried picking the 2nd option)

How can I get rid of it?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Are they both exactly the same name.........

3. cpscdave

cpscdave Thread Starter

Nope, one is media centre ( the one that I boot successfully into)
    The other is XP-pro which is odd cause the recovery disk contains Media Centre.

On a lark I tried booting into the other, and got the same error that occurred when trying to re-install.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Understood....

Go Start>>Run type msconfig click OK

Click on Boot tab.......then check boot paths

5. cpscdave

cpscdave Thread Starter

Excellent. I was able to fix it via msconfig.

There were 2 entries, the XP-Pro one pointing to a non-existent partition. Clicking on check boot paths confirmed that this link was to a non-valid installation and removed it for me.

Thanks for your help!

6. Megabite

Megabite

No prob....you will still have a folder called windows XP Pro taking some space up....but should be minimal

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice