1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error 0x800CCC17

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by belmontes, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

I use Windows Mail in Windows 7 Home version. Today I sent an email from a public wifi spot accidentally. Usually, if I do that, I get an error message, but today it went through. Since I have come home, I cannot receive email from that email account. I can receive email from the other 6 accounts in Windows Mail. I can get email on my isp webmail for the account I am having problems with in Windows Mail. I removed the email account and added it again and still does not work. I can send email from that email account in Windows Mail.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

I just tried again and got a different error code:

Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I am sure the username and password are correct. No idea what this is about.

Chris

3. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. Thanks.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you have an antivirus program like Avast, disable the real time scanning for email. Since you can access your email from the webmail, the 92 code is a false-positive. The 90 is a POP invalid command (or something like that). The commonality between the two is a firewall or antivirus program.

5. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I tried that and no change. I should add that I only get those errors after I cancel on the Windows Security pop up that asks for my username and password of the email address in question. When I enter the username and password, the pop up just repeatedly comes up. I don't get an error message, I just keep getting the Windows Security pop up for username and password. After trying several times, I just hit cancel so it will continue checking the other email addresses which are set up in Windows Mail. The other email addresses are all from the same ISP, so when I removed and added the email account in question, I made sure the settings were all identical. I don't understand why those would all work and not this one. Is it related to the fact that I sent an email from that email address from a public wifi connection?

Chris

6. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

I called my ISP and they said they see there is some trouble communicating between my email client and their server but the only way they could fix it is by deleting that email address and they recommended I call Microsoft. Any ideas? Won't Microsoft charge me?

7. gurutech

gurutech

How are you entering your email address and password when you are prompted?

Are you entering the full email address ([email protected]), or just the username (before the @ sign)?

Try typing your password into notepad, just to make sure the characters come up correct when you type it (I've seen people who had a bad key on their keyboard, where they press one letter, but it would come up with another).

Another thing to check would be "saved passwords". Check here for instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...-passwords-certificates-and-other-credentials

8. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

gurutech, thank you. I tried both ways, with and without the isp name in the username and it doesn't work. I tried using notepad and copying the password and that did not work either. The strange thing is that it does not even seem to try to authenticate. It just pops up again asking for the username and password as if I had entered nothing in the fields. In fact, when I click ok but enter nothing in the username and password fields, it does the same thing - just pops up again immediately.

9. gurutech

gurutech

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
    Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

10. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

It is not checked.

Chris

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    who is the email provider?

12. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

It is Charter. Thanks. I found it odd that he had no idea what it was and told me to call Microsoft. Maybe I need to call back and get someone else? He didn't even know what I meant when I was asking about IMAP vs POP3.

Chris

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are using pop. don't delete the email account but recreate it as an IMAP account.

Desktop Email Settings
    Username: [email protected] (Make sure you enter @charter.net after your username or you will be unable to login)
    Password: The password you use to login to your email account
    Server Type: IMAP
    Incoming Mail server: IMAP.charter.net
    Port: 143
    Outgoing Mail Server: SMTP.charter.net
    Port: 25

14. belmontes

belmontes Thread Starter

Ok,tried that and get a message that says the server has rejected your login. Please verify that your username and password are correct. Invalid username or password. Configuration: Account: imap.charter.net, username: [email protected], protocol: imap, port: 143, secure (SSL): 0, CodeL 800cccd1

I know the password and username are correct because I can log in on webmail. Would changing my password on webmail and then setting it up again in Windows Mail help? I cannot understand how this all happened because I sent from a public wifi spot from this one email address. All of the other emails with the same ISP work in Windows Mail still.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try changing the password to see if it triggers the password to reset on the server side.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice