1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error: 1607

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leslie56, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leslie56

leslie56 Thread Starter

I have just reinstalled the OS on my Dell Dimension 8400 and I am trying to install the drivers. I was able to install the Desktop System Software drive successfully, however when I attempt to install any of the other drivers I get the following error msg from all of them: 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

I Googled the error msg for a solution but could not find anything that worked. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture of my proble drivers:
    :confused:

Thanks

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

3. leslie56

leslie56 Thread Starter

Thank you but that link is not good, when I click on it I get a page that says
    "Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to consumerdocs.installshield.com"

So, then I tried it with Google Chrome and unfortunately I got the same thing. :confused: Is there another link possibly?

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

The link on the microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019 is the one I gave you: " http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108322&sliceId=1
    and as you said it's a broken link which is odd considering the source.. I'll get another link for you. Wonder why the microsoft website provided a broken link- it worked when I posted Let me check into it..

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Okay First check whether Windows Installer engine is functioning.

Click Start > Run > Then type: cmd

At the command prompt, type MSIExec and press Enter. MSI refers to the Windows Installer. If you see an error message, note down the error.

Now try to install or uninstall the program again. If the problem persists, go to the next fix.

Check that Windows Installer service is not disabled.

Click Start > Run > and type: service.msc
    The Services window is opened. Right-click on ‘Windows Installer’ service, then click ‘Start’. The service needs to start without any errors.
    If the installer version doesn’t show as version 4.5, download the latest version at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/

Now try to install or reinstall your program again. If it still persists, try the next fix.

Reregister the installer engine.Click Start > Run > Type: cmd

At the command prompt, first type MSIExec / unregister, then press Enter and type MSIExec / regserver. Now try to install or reinstall your program/drivers again.

6. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    leslie56, the link worked fine for me. I've posted it below for you to look over

Attached Files:

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!