Solved: Error 1721

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwt1924

:confused: I have been trying to reinstall Earthlink Total Access 2005. When I try to install, I get the message: Error 1721: There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install could not be run.
Does anybody know what this error refers to and how to correct it? Thanks in advance.
cwt1924

Are there any more details to the error -- which program failed to run?

Does the Earthlink install configuration allow you any options on what to install? By simplifiying it you may succeed.

Since this error seems to reference the "Windows Installer" which is separate from the Installshield engine, I would probably try updating that:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F

I don't know how helpful this will be: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107579

You can update the installshield engine by following the directions on this page:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105097

Try this:

For Windows 98:

- Click Start - Run, type command , and then press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type cd \ and press ENTER so that you are at the C:\> prompt.
- Now type cd windows\system and press ENTER so that you are now at C:\Windows\System>
- At the command prompt, type msiexec /unregister , and then press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Reboot for safe measure.

Then try the reinstall.

cwt1924

(y) Sorry to be so long replying. I have had big connectivity problems. The problem is solved. Thanks for your help.
cwt1924

Thanks for the update, but please tell us how the problem was solved -- and feel free to mark it so using the "Thread Tools" menu.

cwt1924

:) I followed Rollin'Rogs suggestion. I'm not sure that's what did it because shortly thereafter my connectivity problem surfaced. Anyway everything is OK now and thanks again.
cwt1924

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online