1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error 404 with 1 web site, others ok

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ron40, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I am running win 7 32bit with Firefox 18 & I use Roboform to logon to all my sensitive sites. I have about 15 sites which I have no problems logging onto but 1 of them, "TIAA-CREF," will not allow me to access it at all. I get the following message (below) as soon as I enter my username & password. I used to be able to logon after after multiple tries but now it is completely unavailable to me. I have a laptop which is synced to this pc, through Firefox & I have the same prob with it. I tried my wife's new Ipad just to see if it would let me logon & had no problem. BTW: I have the same problem with IE8 when I try to login with that so I don't think it is Firefox. I have researched this problem before posting here & have run Malawarebytes, flushed my dns & checked out my hosts file but nothing helps. BTW: I don't think the problem is Roboform because I get the same results with manual entry of password & username. This is driving me crazy. Please help.

Error 404--Not Found
    From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
    10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

2. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I have not received a reply since I posted this on 1/25. I am going to mark it as solved & repost it in another forum

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Make sure you're not connecting to that website through a proxy server:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan settings > Proxy server > Advanced > delete proxy server settings > click OK > uncheck all boxes > click OK.

In Firefox, click Tools > Options... > Advanced > Network > Settings > delete proxy settings > select No proxy > click OK.

4. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Hi Phantom:
    Thanks for replying. No Proxy is already selected.

5. Phantom010

6. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I ran it in safe mode & I still get the error.
    BTW: I tried to do system restore 10 minutes ago. I made restore points 2 weeks ago but the oldest points that appear are from 31 Jan.

7. Phantom010

8. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Thanks, I was thinking of that.

Ron

9. Phantom010

You're welcome and good luck.

If they can't help, come back and maybe someone else will have better ideas than mine. But, do give us feedback anyway. I'm curious. :)

10. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

HI Phantom:
    Problem solved. I spoke to a TIAA-CREF support spec & he said they made recent changes to their software. Logon attempts coming from "favorites"type sources are not executed but instead are redirected to a "null" site. I use Roboform & like it very much but I guess TIAA-CREF wants you to do it manually. Copying & pasting works, fortunately. Have you ever heard of this? I wonder if RF can do a workaround? If other sites start doing this too it can become a pain. Does it really increase security?

11. Phantom010

Unfortunately, you can't do much about it. Website owners do whatever it takes to improve security for their sites and members.

12. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Oh well, at least it wasn't an infection.
    Case closed. Thanks a bunch, Phantom.

Ron

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice