1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error 815

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fuzzskis, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fuzzskis

fuzzskis Thread Starter

I have a new machine with Vista Home Basic. I keep getting error 815 when I try to connect to the net. My ISP tech says it sees that the modem is connected and doing its job but my ISP tech confirms that it doesn't see the computer. My ISP tech told me that it's a known Vista problem. I've lost all my hair over this one. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ! Anyone !:(:confused::mad:

2. Sponsor

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This is the type of problem that a good ISP tech should be able to work you through -- not blame Vista. I would try reconnecting with a new tech and have them check your configuration information.

In the mean time would you look at the bottom right of your taskbar where you normally see a network connection icon (two computers) -- and tell me if that has any error indicators and if you right click on it and select "diagnose and repair" -- what is the word for word response of the diagnostic?

Also, run devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager and look for "Network Adapters". What do you have there, and is it showing "this device is working properly" under "device status" when you double click it?

If this device shows any errors, remove it and reboot.

Also, if you are connected to the modem through a router -- try connecting direct to the modem. First remove power to the modem for a minute or two, then reconnect it.

Next you will have an ethernet cable coming from the rear of the PC and typically this will connect to a router if you have more than one PC on a network -- but for a test -- connect the PCs ethernet cable direct to the modem.

4. fuzzskis

fuzzskis Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Rollin Rog
    First the response is "Windows cannot fix the problem.
    And secondly the device manager indicates the ethernet device is working working properly but its not showing a 1394 net adaptor and I ran across some text at one point that said a drive might be missing. Does this help you any? Please advise
    fuzzskis
    ps. no router.......connected directly to the modem.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Isn't 815 a PPOE/DUN error? How are you physically connecting (i.e.: what jack and cable at both ends) and how was the connection defined?

6. fuzzskis

fuzzskis Thread Starter

To AKAJohnDoe,
    I'm a novice at this but I believe you're right about the PPOE connection.
    I'm beginning to think I'm useing the wrong cable to connect. I am useing a ethernet and maybe should use the USB port. The modem is made by ARRIS.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I think perhaps you have the correct cable, but that the setup on the PC may not be. What is the Make/Model/Type of the modem and who is the ISP?

8. fuzzskis

fuzzskis Thread Starter

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A 1394 net adaptor is not needed for connectivity, it is mainly used for peripherals, like USB.

There was no message describing the failure, just one saying it could not be repaired? I think the 815 error simply means you cannot connect to the ISPs server, but we are not learning why.

WinXP has a much better diagnostic interface than Vista

I would definitely verify the cable connection between the Ethernet jack on both the computer and modem. Try a different cable if you have one.

Also: The following procedure shows the steps used to collect wired trace sets.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749352.aspx

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Could you post the output of ipconfig /all, please?

11. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Maybe I am runninh gown the wrong road, but have you tried a reset? It may be worth powering down the computer, unplug the modem from the mains for 30 seconds or so, plug it back in, and restart.
    I only mention it because I had similar problems on several computers, with virtually the same symptoms, and it cured it every time. Not one to give false hope, but sometimes it can be nice and simple :)

12. fuzzskis

fuzzskis Thread Starter

Sorry everyone for not marking this solved before now. I ended up running a complete system recovery and that solved the problem. Only took 20 minutes and that did the trick. Don't ask me how or why but it worked. Many thanks to all.
    FUZZSKIS

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786473