1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Error after installing windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cherbrig, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cherbrig

cherbrig Thread Starter

I installed windows xp on a new hard drive...Now when I turn the computer on I get an error...A DISK READ ERROR OCCURED press CLT+ALT+DEL to restart...when i press CLT+ALT+DEL the computer will restart but I keep getting the same error...and windows won't start

Cheryl

2. techy689

techy689

Is this a legite, full copy of Windows XP?

Also, did you format any preexisting partitions, and create or merge a new partition?

Try inserting the Windows CD and selecting Repair.

3. cherbrig

cherbrig Thread Starter

Yes it is a legite full version of Windows XP Home Edition...The Windows XP CD formatted the partition, before it installed the windows program..Getting ready to try and repair from the CD...

4. techy689

techy689

let me know if there is success.

5. cherbrig

cherbrig Thread Starter

Repairing was unsuccessful...I've received a few suggestions, like going into the Bios and activate "Load Fail-Safe Default", Disabling IDE bus Master, Repartition to FAT32...But am afraid to try them if fear that I will mess computer up more than I already have...I see that you are a senior member...Any suggestions...I think that the problem might just lie somewhere in the Bios...But that area I have no experience in what so ever...

6. techy689

techy689

So you think there is an error with the Bios?

Reset you BIOS to default settings.

Try this, and let me know what happens.

7. bbearren

bbearren

Or you can just go into BIOS on startup and reset to defaults. Same result without opening the case.

8. cherbrig

cherbrig Thread Starter

First let me say thank you for all of your input it is great appreciated...
    Couldn't reset Bios to default...I was able to get to the Bios menu but I couldn't navigate around in it... It was like my keyboard was frozen...But I was able to use the F1 key to get the settings...

Now I am getting a "No Operating System found"... Could this be because I installed the hard drive in another computer as a slave...there deleted the partitions, created them and installed Windows XP?...The Windows XP program was installed and I was able to use it...But now when I install it in the computer I've been working on I get the above error.

9. bbearren

bbearren

Yes. The boot files, NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI are always placed on the boot drive. Since your installation was on a slave drive, the boot files didn't get written to it.

10. dobbelina

dobbelina

You always have to install the system on the machine you're gonna use it on.
    Installing it on another machine and then transfering the HD will fail.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!